Chapter 34

We run shifted with Senet, and his modest speed allows Alexei and I to fill my wolf's stomach. Alexei is a far better hunter than me; he returns with a fox and two rabbits, and he eats what I'm too stuffed to finish. I'm still irritatingly aware of the satisfaction blood gives me, but I enjoy being wild with Alexei. He surveys my surroundings and leaves me the best, most nutritious parts of his kills. He belongs in the forest as much as any other native animal — the way he maneuvers, his sense of what's coming, and his knowledge of the land are on par with a rogue who's never stepped foot in society. I know he's lived long enough to become a brilliant hunter and navigator, but some behaviors cannot be learned. Maybe it's the Alpha in him that's terribly gifted. Or maybe Alexei is simply brilliant, and I am blessed to watch him.

There is so much to discuss and disclose, but this time of voicelessness couldn't have been more needed than it is now. I want him to know that after all that's happened, I am still with him, and he can still look after me.

Nearly all the snow on the ground of Alexei's territory has melted. The north courtyard is clear for our arrival; the gate starts opening the moment we appear on the horizon. Senet passes the keep walls with us then files off to shift and presumably return to the temple. I wait, unsure of whether or not to go into the shifting stalls, while Alexei shifts in the open. I look away.

He walks into the entrance tunnel and returns somewhat clothed with a piece of white fabric draped over his arm. "Go on," he says. "You can cover yourself with this so we can go up to the apartment."

I peer up at the men posted on the wall then at the few people working the courtyard, but I don't need to speak to tell Alexei I'm not shifting under their collective gaze. Alexei loudly clears his throat, and the guards turn their backs. Everyone in the courtyard seems to find a crevice to slip into, and suddenly I have privacy, that is, except from my mate.

I shift anyway, cover myself with my hands and arms, and snatch the piece of clothing from his grasp. I turn my back to him — unable to cover my behind as I figure out what he's brought me — but Alexei is more interested in my lack of a scar than my bottom. He holds my hair out of the way like a curtain and runs three fingertips down my spine. I bring the large shirt over my head. I disrupt his view and face him.

"It's really gone," he says, entranced.

"After what I did, it better be."

He cracks a smile as he looks over me. Clearly, he's lent me his own shirt to wear as a baggy, inappropriate dress. I cross my arms over my chest, more concerned with my body than the resurfacing stench of shifter blood and Alexei's blood which smothers all of it. "I can't go anywhere like this." I lower my voice and say, "People can see my breasts."

"Come. I'll find a cloak."

I keep my arms over my front as we enter the keep. Alexei grabs one of his cloaks and brings it over my shoulders, and it drags on the floor behind me when we carry on. Without hunting on the way here, I don't know if I'd handle being drenched in his scent as well as I am.

"How long were you planning to stay away?" Alexei asks.

Guilt cramps my stomach. "I... don't know. It's hard for me to take the risk of being around you, but Senet is right; I have to build a tolerance."

"Then I will do everything I can to strengthen our bond."

I fall silent, nervous about what he must be referring to. Alexei eyes me without turning his head. "I-I know," I murmur.

"Brea—"

"And it's not that I don't want... that. I do."

"Are you sure?"