Chapter 26

Alexei stays with me every night though he doesn't sleep. I feel him get on and off the bed occasionally and hear him leave the room, but it is never for long.

I recall his kiss the other morning as though it happened moments ago. He kept his word, kissed me goodbye in his chambers, and proved our growing intimacy to be real, not a figment of my fleeting dreams. He approached me after I had covered up with my robe, and he held my face, looking into my eyes and talking about his plans for the day, but I barely heard him over the deafening suspense. My lips parted and he swept me into lip lock, relishing me quickly then letting go. He told me to be careful, and then he left until dinner. I sat at the dining table with my hands in my lap until he appeared half an hour late. I couldn't eat much. The food felt like mud in my mouth; my head's gone to mush flipping through recipes and curses and stories. When he asked if I'd eaten, I lied and said I couldn't wait for him to arrive; I already ate my fill.

I know I should be grateful to sit before a bounty each night when winter leaves many tables deprived, but this morning my appetite was no more revived by rest than the days prior. When I'm alone, I read Tabitha's book, and when I'm not, I worry about what she's written.

Alexei is my only reprieve.

I carry her book with me now in a plain leather sachel one servant was kind enough to give me before I left through the city gate. It's snowing lightly, and she didn't want the pages exposed. I thanked her for thinking when I was not then I gave her a handful of gold and silver coins and wished her well during the winter.

Bringing the book along should be telling enough, but my mind hasn't been made up. Will I show Senet or won't I?

Sweet smells waft out the door of a bakery as I walk by, reminiscent of the pastries my mother would request on cold mornings. Winter spices warm the soul, but my stomach is still — uninterested.

The temple steps are swept of snow, though the snowfall has been manageable compared to the storms in the mountains. Lumber arrived in my territory after a testing trip and is surely being processed and distributed this morning. I stomp my boots clean before I enter the temple, and I clear the stray hairs from my face. Footsteps click against the stone floor as Senet approaches.

"Alpha, I'm glad to see your mind hasn't changed," he says with a welcoming grin. "It wasn't too unpleasant of a walk in this weather, I hope."

"The snow has lightened. My mind is... hopeful. Have you had any revelations regarding my mark?"

"I thought the scripture in your mark might be a form of witches tongue, but there are too many variations. I would like to copy the writings onto parchment for closer analysis," he says as he leads me into his study. "By Her light, the books I had requested after our first meeting were permitted to travel here; I've maintained quite a reputation with the academy scholars in the Islands. One of my good friends happens to be the protector of these books, so we must handle with care."

He takes me to his desk where three small books are stacked on top of unwrapped packaging. One shows more wear than the others, but none seem shy of three centuries.

I ask, "What do they speak about?"

"A variety of stories. Your story and marking reminded me of them — one in particular — that I was privileged to read many years ago."

Senet picks up the first book as I remove and drape my cloak over the armchair before his desk. I rest my satchel on the cushion then stand beside him to look at the pages as he turns through them. "Is it in this book?"

"Possibly, but I couldn't be sure. These stories concern the Goddess," he glances at me, "the God, the first Alpha—"

"Who wrote them?"