Chapter 6: Sokka Part 1

Sokka's Point of View.
"And then I said 'I think you need to cool off!'" I finished; barley able to hold in my laughter. Katara joined me, placing a hand on my shoulder to steady herself while she laughed and Suki cracked a warm smile as she remembered the fight.

"It was a glorious comeback." She added, nodding proudly. Spirits I love her. "You should have seen the look on the crook's face – you could tell he was trying not to laugh."

"I'm sure he was. I wish I could have seen it." Katara spoke whipping little tears of laughter from her eyes. It's been too long since I've seen her laugh like that, last time we saw each other she had been kidnapped trying to help sort the water supplies to Crayfish Town.

"Same. Say when were you thinking of visiting home? Dad's been going on and on about how much he misses his little girl."

"You wouldn't think I write to him most weeks. Or that I'm twenty." She shrugged before looking to the sky as if it would know. "I would like to come back the week leading up to his birthday, so in about a month."

We chatted on reminiscing about home for a good few minutes before I turned back to check on the others. Zuko and Mai looked happy talking to little Izumi – he had her scoped up on his shoulder as they labelled anything she pointed out in babby terms. Toph and Aang were still stood back, quietly talking amongst themselves, but Aang looked particularly shaken: he was twisting his sleeves and talking with his hands. Toph looked to be handling it well – she seemed to be talking him down and even lightly punched his arm. She may not have been the most touchy-feely but sometimes you just needed her (all be it blunt) logic to help you really see what your problems were.

"Is Aang really alright?" I thought aloud. He had seemed off at Iroh's and I know none of us had it easy but when we met up outside of missions he seemed to be doing better.

"It's not really my place to say," Katara spoke, stiffening slightly. I nodded fully understanding. "But as you can probably tell, that nightmare really got to him." I nodded.

"Do you think he would be open to talking about it with me?" I asked. The man has helped me through some rough patches and been one of my best friends for 6 years now – I just wanted to make sure he's okay. Katara went to answer but just as she did, Aang and Toph rejoined.

"Talk to who about what?" he asked, reaching for Katara's hand and started swinging it. She smiled and he joined her – no sign of any the days pain.

"I was just wondering if I would be alright to talk to you about this morning – got to make sure my buds alright." I added, hesitant to keep bring it back up. He broke his gaze away,

"I appreciate the offer, but maybe later. I think I'm all talked out." He finished giving a half-hearted lobsided grin. I reassured him it was fine, and we resumed talking about much lighter stuff. We all regrouped and Zuko and Mai gave us all a story about Izumi's little jail break from her cot which sent the whole palace up in arms until she was found under a guest bed chewing on the side of a theatre mask. I had to give her a little baby sized high five for that.

"Oh, I can't wait until she's older, I'm gonna teach her all sorts of stuff." Added Toph with a glint in her eye that usually meant nothing good.

Zuko looked as if he were just about to protest before Azula jumped out from a neighbouring building. "Hi, Ty Lee, Mai, Zuzu. Oh, and the Avatar's little gang is here too, where are we going? May I suggest food, I'm starving." I must have jumped a foot in shock and by the time I realised who it was I had my boomerang out.

"Hey Azula, sorry we just ate. Toph is there anything at your academy?" Zuko asked as Ty Lee also appeared from the shadows. She smiled at the baby, giving her a little wave as she hooked her arm over Azula's shoulders. She stiffened for a brief second before gently leaning in and giving her the faintest smile.