Kataang Week Break

Authors Note
So as you may be aware this week is Kataang week and I literally only learned about this on Tuesday. So because I'm having some writer's block combined with some life stuff I thought I'd try and do a little short story with the Thursday prompt: drunken Kataang.

Now I started this last night and I'm aware it isn't Thursday still but I have a loop hole: it may be 11:58 am here (UK time) but thanks to the magic of time zones it's still Thursday somewhere. Boom, let's not question it.

So some chapters ago (I can't find it right now but I think it's in here somewhere) I mentioned something about the gaang getting trollied at Iroh's and Sokka ended up throwing his boomerang at the ceiling and Toph and Zuko helping him get it down. So here is an elaboration on this story so I can act like I planed it.

Little disclaimer: I'm not encouraging underaged drinking, nor have I drank underaged. This is solely to fit the prompt and I think I said this happened 3 years ago in my story as stated I can't find it to check. This is all fiction so I can make it legal in my story if that makes things better.

Katara's Point of View
3 Years Ago (3 years after the end of the show)

Three years have passed in the blink of an eye: we've saved the world, found Zuko's mother, fought with spirits that turned out to be Azula, helped preserve and develop the Southern Water Tribe, and founded a city. For a bunch of overpowered 15+ year olds we do what we can. It's been stressful. We hardly see each other anymore, with everyone on their own adventures. But once a year on the anniversary of Sozin's Comet and the defeat of Fire Lord Ozi, we all meet up at the Jasmine Dragon and throw a party.

Me and Aang were coming from the Southern Air Temple after overseeing the begining of its restoration; Sokka was coming from the South Pole picking up Suki and Ty Lee from Kioshi Island; Zuko and Mai were coming from the Fire Nation Capital as the acting Fire Lord and Lady; and Toph was the closest coming from her metal bending school in Ba Sing Say. This was our first big get together since Zuko's and Mai's wedding two months ago, but this would be our first informal reunion in 5 months. 

Somehow we were the first to arrive, so naturally we offered to  help Iroh finish up in his tea shop. To keep our gathering a secrete from the wider public we served customers in disguise, both donning simple earth kingdom robes and a wig for Aang - though occasionally when he caught a little kid staring Aang would discreetly itch his forehead revealing his tattoos whilst motioning for the child to stay quite. The pure joy and amazement lighting up the small child's face melted something in me, and I couldn't help but smile from a distance. We shut up shop at 5pm, finished cleaning up at 5: 30 and were conveniently the only ones here. After another half hour of tea and chatting with Iroh we headed out to the balcony to either watch the sun set or wait for the others depending on what came first.

"I can't believe it's been three years already." I sighed, staring off into the distance.
"Yeah, well time sure does fly when your having fun."
"More like: time sure does fly when your rushed off your feet." I paused looking down at the smooth marble banisters, so intricately carved and all to keep us safe. "Don't get me wrong I love helping people, and I do enjoy traveling the world with you and the others it's just..."
"It's just a lot of pressure." He finished, perecfty summing up what I wanted to say. "Yeah I get it, believe me I understand. We all do. But that's why we have tonight: a chance to breath and enjoy ourselves." He added facing me and rubbing my shoulder. At his touch I softened, I knew if anyone understood what I was going through it was Aang - the Avatar, the protector of the people, the keeper of peace, a teachincaly 15 year old boy. I turned, facing him, and smiled.

"Hey guys! We're here!" Sokka yelled, waking through the patio doors.

Spirits I'm getting deja vu.

"Come on guys let's get this party started!" Toph yelled stumbling through joining him, a suspiciously full bottle of alcohol in one hand, the other looped around Sokka's arm for balance.
"Um... It seems like someone's already started. Toph how many have you had?" I asked.
"No less than 2 I can tell you that much. Come on Twinkle Toes we need you to get sloshed!" I looked over at Aang, the only member of our group that hadn't drank yet, he just looked amused by Toph's antics.
"Fine," I turned at him in shock, that was not what I expected, "but only one glass Toph. I really don't want to get as far gone as you are." Satisfied, Toph headed back inside with Sokka helping her stay upright. Just before heading back in ourselves, I reached for Aang's hand and gently whispered,
"Are you sure your okay with this?"
"Yeah, it's been a long year and I think I'm ready, and as I said I'm only having one glass. How bad can it be?"

Flash forward two hours and one drink later for Aang.

Whilst the older members of our group and Toph were on their third refill, and just starting to feel the effects of the booze, Aang had, true to his word had one, one and was well and truly hammered.
"Twinkle Toes your such a lightweight!" Toph mocked from the corner she was sent to, to sober up, as she had consumed the most before she even got here.
"Am not," he swayed, "the world's just really spinny."
"Nah sorry buddy, she's right." Zuko added, clinking his glass with Mai's before downing its contents.

"Uh... Zuko, Toph I think I need your help with something." Sokka called from his corner, he was sent to. As the pair drunkenly sondered over, I noticed Sokka's boomerang sticking out of Iroh's otherwise pristine ceiling.
"Uh... Do you- never mind. Not getting involved. I am not even going to ask." I mumbled from my seat on the floor, next to Aang, who was now seemingly just remembered he was the avatar and watching in amazement as he bended all the elements in his hand. Not enough that it was dangerous, but just enough that the fire was casting enough heat for me to feel it.

Looking around the room it was clear everyone had been a little over enthusiastic on the booze: Sokka, Zuko, and Toph were stacking chairs to get his boomerang, but because they were all out of it, they kept setting them down and missing what they were supposed to be setting them on; Suki leaving her boyfriend to it, was chatting with Ty Lee and Mai, occasionally one of them going red in the face, and glancing back at a drunken boyfriend hobbling together a ladder of chairs or in Ty's case staring wistfully off into the distance; and then there was me and Aang sitting on the floor infront of the door to the balcony.

"Hey look Katara. I'm a waterbender just like you!" He beamed with the broadest, purest smile, as he made a drop of water rally around his hand like he usually did with his marbles. (Credit to my sister who suggested this waterbending move) I chuckled, and smiled back. I bet he won't rember any of this tomorrow, but I hope I do. I reached over and rested my arm of his shoulder, as he leaned on mine. "One day I hope I can be half as good a water bender as you." He added softly.
"Oh I'm sure you already are, if not better."
"Nah your the best." He finished nuzzling in. Feeling my cheeks flush and my heart pound in my chest, part of me was internally screaming whist the other was screaming at it to stop so we could enjoy the moment.

A few minutes passed and Aang must have dozed off, allowing me to mentally carve this moment into my brain. I needed to rember everything, even if he couldn't. The way his face flushed a warm pink as we touched, the way the birds sang in the tea shops garden, the background noise of the others ramblings, the way sun cast a warm glow over our groups drunken state.

"Oh Aang," I nudged him gently, and as his face stirred to life in my arms, I motioned at the back wall lit up in an orange glow, "the sun's setting." His face lit up as he began trying and failing to get up. I offered out my hand and together we hobbled out the shop, using the other to stay upright.

Once we made it out, Ba Sing Say seemed to come alive with colour, pinks, purples, oranges, painting the cream walls around the city. The birds seemed to sing louder. The colour seemed more vibrant. I don't know if it's just the alcohol but everything just seemed more. Using the smooth stone of the banisters to stay upright we stood and watched the sun set. No conversation was needed. It was perfect.

"Hey Katara." Aang began wistfully, "you know I love you right?"

Oh spirits. That the first time Aang said he loved me out loud. I knew he did, and he knew I did, but admitting it out loud was something else entirely.

"Yeah. I love you too Aang." I replied, as he brought us in for a hug.

"Good. 'Cause you really are my forever girl." He finished with his head resting on my shoulder, his face burning up, and heart hammering through his shirt, revealing just how nervous he was admitting this even under the confidence-inducing alcohol.

I really hope he rember this.

"Hey Katara, remind me never to drink again." He added softly.
"Don't worry. I'll rember." I chuckled, still not trying to break our embrace.