Chapter 21: Azula Alone Part 3

Azula's Point of View
Leaving a cloud of dust in our wake, Storm and I cantered out of Yěhuǒ heading deeper into the desert. Through shallow breaths, misty eyes and clenched hands I forced Storm down a sand dune the hight of a palace. Out of the burning glair of the sun, the temperature plummeted, that combined with the unstable ground meant Storm squirmed and shifted. But I held the reigns tight, barely acknowledging her discomfort, pushing myself to just look forwards, blocking everything else out.

Yet again I failed. I couldn't stop anything: events swirling in my mind, memories crackling before my eyes.

"Princess Azula,"

The man from earlier. He knew my name. Even with the mask on he knew who I was.

It must have been the fire. The imperfect, uncontrollable, wrathful blue fire.

It was everything I hated about myself: a symbol of what my father made me.

That's not me. Not anymore.

"you are wanted by the Earth King's guards for a suspected robbery,"

Who was I kidding? I'm a wanted criminal. Even under Ozi's influence I was never a low life criminal. Yes I did things that were morally corrupt, but I was never labeled for it.

Now here I was tarnishing my families honour, wanted for a petty theft.

"and the Fire Lord for your disappearance,"

Of course Zuzu would blow everything out of proportion. Ty knows why I left and she should have explained everything to him. She must just need time to convince him to let me go...

"and suspected anarchy."

Now this was worrying: nothing I have done could be classed as anarchy. My brother must be deluded - I have no desire to overthrow him nor does he have reason to suspect I do.

This must be a mistake.

A stupid mistake. Perhaps someone misheard him, perhaps the man read it wrong...

"Or maybe he just wants to get rid of you." Fènnù whispered.
"You know what happens when someone dishonours the royal family." Zhémó taunted.

"Zuko's not like him." I cried, causing Storm to surge forwards, but I hardly noticed. "He would never to that to me."

Ty wouldn't let him... Would she?

Her face flashed before my eyes: tears in her eyes, her hair starting to fall over her face, her white makeup hiding the scar I gave her when I lost control, all while she begged me to stay. "You're so close! You could finally have the life you wanted! If you just stay, I promise I'll help you more, I'll make sure no one hurts you again, I'll..."

I looked down with a wince, as if I were trying to avoid to meeting her eyes. Hooked around my right wrist was my old friendship bracelet.

She would never let Zuko publish that announcement. None of them would

It must be a mistake. It has to be.

I looked up to the uniformly clear blue sky, and started to mentally count, breathing in and out on every multiple of 5. I was overanalyzing - I had to just breathe. I was safe. No one was following us. Everything would be okay.

After another half hour of riding, I unclasped my mask and glanced down at the damp crimson felt lining the inside. Ugh. I must look a right state. For once I was glad I didn't have a mirror. My shaking hands gently turned the mask over, concealing the sweat and allowing the dragon to face me.