fifty two

harrystyles: Okay I know I've talked about finals a bunch, but I'm really nervous
harrystyles: It's just, what if I fail after studying so hard? What do I even do then?
harrystyles: Shit, it's really late, sorry

louist91: it's alright, I'm up
louist91: wanna call ?

harrystyles: Sure :)

Louis watched the phone ring until Harry's tired face appeared on the screen. "Hey Curly," he said gently.

Harry smiled weakly, muffling a yawn. "Hey Lou. Sorry for bothering you so late."

"Hey, it's no bother staying up for you. I know you're stressed, love, but it's gonna be alright," Louis soothed, pulling his blanket tighter around his shoulders as a gust of cool air blew in from the open window.

Harry sighed, rubbing his eyes. "I know it probably will, but what if it isn't? What if I screw up somehow, what even happens then? Do I have to repeat my senior year?"

Louis smiled sympathetically. "H, I think you might be tired and overthinking a bit. You're smart, and you've been studying for ages now. By the time finals roll around, you're gonna be perfectly prepared, I know it. The most important thing right now is getting enough sleep. Go to bed early tomorrow, and all the days after that before finals, okay? I've tried to do finals sleep-deprived and let me tell you, it doesn't go well."

Harry nodded slowly, and Louis smiled as he watched Harry fight to keep his eyes open, propping his chin on his hand. "I'm excited to see you soon," he mumbled, smiling softly up at Louis.

"I'm excited to see you too," Louis said fondly. "Only a couple more weeks now."

Harry beamed, though fatigue quickly overcame his expression, and he stifled another yawn, his eyelids drooping.

"Get some sleep, okay H? I don't want you to feel badly tomorrow," Louis encouraged softly, and Harry nodded, reaching over to turn out his light.

"Thank you Lou, really. I just kinda got in my head a bit, thank you for talking me down," he said shyly.

"Anytime, Curly. Now get to bed, alright? I'll talk to you tomorrow."

Harry smiled softly, blowing a kiss to the camera before hanging up with a small wave, leaving Louis smiling broadly at the blank screen of his phone. Unable to shake the smile from his face, he set his phone down on the night table and leaned over, gazing out the window. The clear sky, speckled with stars, held the crescent moon, which lit everything with a soft glow, creating the eerie effect of making his dim room look otherworldly. Almost like Harry, he thought absently. Too beautiful to seem truly real, yet right there in front of him, proving its existence.

A soft knock on his door startled Louis out of his thoughts, and he turned to see his mother smiling softly at him in the doorway.

"Mum, hey, shouldn't you be sleeping?" he asked quietly. Jay smiled, shrugging.

"I was washing the dishes from dinner, then heard voices, so I came to check it out. Who were you talking to?"

Louis flushed, hoping the darkness hid the blush on his cheeks. Judging by his mum's knowing smile, it didn't. "Harry," he admitted. "The one I'm visiting in a couple weeks."

Jay hummed, nodding. "Ah. You know, I don't know much about him, would you tell me about Harry?"

Louis nodded, biting his lip to dampen his smile as his mum came to sit beside him on the bed. "Everything I'm about to say never leaves this room, yeah? The girls will never let me live in peace again if it does." When his mum nodded solemnly, he took a deep breath, smiling shyly. "Harry— God, he's just so wonderful, Mum. He's got these gorgeous curls, and the most stunning eyes you've ever seen. They're this clear green, and when he looks at you, it's like he really sees you, like he sees through you, even. And he's so sweet, he's got the absolute biggest heart possible. He adopted a stray cat, did I tell you that? He named it Wellington, we co-parent him now," he laughed. "He loves his mum and sister so much, you can just see it when they're together. And that's not even close to everything, he's genuinely an angel, Mum."

Jay smiled, looking at him affectionately. "You like him, I gather?" Louis blushed furiously, ducking his head.

"Far more than I should."

"More than you should?"

"I mean, I haven't known him for all that long, really, but he's just— he's perfect, I can't help it. It's so bad that I smile when I get notifications that he sent me a message, Mum, it's terrible."

His mother laughed quietly, shaking her head. "It's been a while since I've seen you like this over someone. I didn't hear much of your conversation, but I did hear your tones, and he sounds quite fond of you."

Louis looked up at her, tilting his head curiously. "Does he?" When Jay smiled, nodding softly, a broad grin stretched over his lips. "That's... really good to hear," he mumbled. "I just— I'm not sure how I'm going to handle him being so wonderful all the time for over a week, how I'll be able to pretend that every time he smiles, it doesn't make my heart go all weird."

He sighed, leaning back against the headboard of his bed, and his mum rested her hand on his knee soothingly. "You'll figure it out, I know you will. It'll turn out alright in the end." Louis smiled softly at her, mumbling his thanks. "Alright, I should go to bed, but I want to hear more about Harry tomorrow, alright? He seems important to you."

Louis nodded, stifling a yawn as his mother stood up and made her way to the door. "G'night Mum," he mumbled.

"Goodnight Louis."