sixty eight

Eyes bleary, Louis rolled over, groaning as cold air slipped in under his warm blanket. He squinted at the clock, sitting bolt upright as he registered the time. Eleven in the morning. Shit. Hurriedly, he changed into a wrinkled tee and sweatpants, and he stumbled down the hall into the living room.

Surprisingly, he was met with the sight of a sleepy Harry curled up on the couch next to Anne and Gemma, the latter two holding steaming mugs of coffee.

"G'morning," Louis said, clearing his throat as he realized how gravelly his voice was. Harry perked up, smiling languidly at him.

"Morning Lou," he said, rubbing his eyes. "How'd you sleep? If you slept anywhere close to how I did, there's coffee in the kitchen, take as much as you need."

Louis laughed quietly. "I take it you didn't sleep too well?"

"I got, like, four hours. It was horrible."

Wincing in sympathy, Louis leaned against the doorframe. "Get some sleep tonight, yeah? You don't want to be tired for graduation."

Harry groaned loudly at the thought, collapsing into Anne's side. "Don't even say it. God, what if I fall asleep in my chair and miss them calling my name?"

"Don't be stupid," Gemma said bluntly. "You'll be so wired with nerves you won't even be able to think about sleep. Quit worrying, you're stressing me out with all your nonsense."

"Sounds like a you problem," Harry mumbled before covering his face with his arm. "My problem is that I don't know whether I'm going to drop dead from exhaustion or hunger."

"You're not going to drop dead," Anne said gently, smiling amusedly as she took a sip of coffee. "But we'll have a slow day today, yeah? That way you can go to bed early and be rested for tomorrow. I was actually thinking of sorting through some old photo albums, anyone that wants to join me is welcome to."

Louis perked up, grinning. "Are there, by any chance, any embarrassing pictures of Harry?"

"More than a few," Anne laughed.

Harry groaned, lightly pushing her away. "Don't show him those, c'mon. They're horrid."

"Curly, come on now, I can't miss the chance to see photos of baby you," Louis said sweetly. "I won't even make that much fun of them, I swear."

Harry let out a quiet grunt that Louis assumed to be agreement, and he pumped his fist victoriously.

"After breakfast, then?" Anne asked. "I've got pancake batter waiting in the fridge."

&

Louis let out a slow breath, curling back into his corner of the couch with a sleepy yawn. Harry leaned into his side, rubbing his eyes. He hummed sleepily, and Louis laughed, brushing Harry's curls away from where they were stuck to his face.

"Still tired?"

Harry groaned, turning his face to hide it from the sunlight streaming through the window onto the worn leather sofa.

"C'mon, your mum's almost back with the photo albums, going through those will wake you up," Louis said fondly, shaking him awake.

Perfectly on time, Anne walked back into the living room, her arms full of boxes. She dumped them down unceremoniously on the table, blowing out a long breath. "Sorry, it took me longer than expected to get to these under all the other bins in the garage," she said, dusting off one of the boxes. "These should be Harry and Gemma as kids, if I remember correctly."

Louis sat forward, interested. Anne pulled out a deep red coloured album, flipping it open. As she did so, she grinned broadly.

"Oh, this one's from Harry's first birthday!"