Nine

Tegan

I awake to an empty spot next to me. I look at the digital numbers on the night stand: 9:38. Damn I guess I slept well. I had this weird dream about Ryan. Or wait- it wasn't a dream. I heard that motherfucker ask his boss for a "job" and leave me here alone for at least four days.

He thought I was sleeping when in reality I was sitting by the door listening. I fell asleep for two minutes but then woke up and couldn't go to sleep so I listened in on their conversation. They were speaking loud enough for me to hear and when I heard his boss leave, I panicked and went back to "sleep".

Oh I can't wait for him to come back so I can give him crap about leaving me here alone. And on top of that, I don't even know what he's leaving me to go do.

Wait why am I even worried? This is what I should want. I should want my kidnapper to leave and maybe I can find a way out of here while he's gone. Yeah, okay. My thoughts go back and forth, arguing.

I wait until 9:45 when there's the usual knock at the door to deliver me my breakfast. Okay, I know what I'll do. I'll take the breakfast lady as hostage to get me out of here. I'm sure she has keys to certain doors Ryan doesn't.

The problem is, I have nothing to hold her hostage with... My eyes land on the hook with the handcuffs dangling from them. I guess that will do. I grab the cuffs and push the loop through so that the end with the spikes sticks out. I hold it behind my back as I open the door, ready to lunge forward.

I unlock the lock and twist the door handle. My body tenses and my eyes widen at the familiar face in front of me.

"Ryan?" I ask my voice shaky.

"Yeah sorry, I had some things to do.." he says looking at me to see if I will question him further. I am too shocked to interrogate him so I just open the door wider to allow him to come in. I quickly slide the handcuffs between my lower back and the waistband of my pants. I place my shirt over it and I walk towards Ryan who is now seated on the bed.

"So, did you eat breakfast yet?" He asks as if I will accept him dismissing the issue. I'm reminded of what I heard last night in the hallway. I walk towards him and I cross my arms on my chest.

"You wanna tell me where you were? Better yet, what you were doing?"

"I'd rather not." He answers, his gaze aimed towards the floor.

"Well I'd rather so. Now start talking or I'm personally going to go to your boss and ask him to transfer me because what's not to tell me that what you're doing is not exactly like these other men? You say I should be worried to be placed with abusive men but what about the man I'm with now? What if you're doing something far worse than abuse?" I ask throwing my hands up in the air out of frustration.

"Oh well since we're interrogating each other now, I guess I'll join. What's your name? Because I highly doubt it's Stock. How old are you? Why were you all alone when I took you?"

"YOU were the one who TOOK me?" I exclaim. I already knew there was a large chance he was my taker but those words from his mouth really made me realize the gravity of his actions.

"I thought you already figured that out!"

I turn around in frustration and walk away from him. I feel his steps quicken behind me and a hand lifts up my shirt, startling me. "Now is not the time!" I yell. He continues and pulls out something from the waistband of my pants. Oops, I forgot about those...

I hear the sound of metal jiggling behind me as he he holds up the cuffs. I close my eyes, ashamed I got caught.

"Tell me, what were those doing there?" He says in a neutral tone with a tinge of betrayal.