*Chapter 3*

I stayed beside my mother until we both drifted off to sleep. At one time Doretta came to sit with me, until her next-door friend, Alice, summoned her. She said something about a party tonight. I heard her clearly but in my dreamy state speech evaded me, nor could I move or open my eyes. It was a spooky phenomenon I'd experienced a few times, an existence someplace between slumber and wakefulness.

Not long after she'd gone, the creature invaded my sleep. At first, I heard the sound of metal scraping, combined with an eerie howling as it grew darker. Suddenly, it sprang upon me and snarled. "Soon, I'll have your soul! So make the most of what time you've got!"

I shook with fright and screamed. Rising to my feet, I looked down and saw myself sitting on the chair beside my mother and sleeping. Instantly, I soared higher and higher, and within seconds I was high above the darkening clouds that swirled around my house, which as I soared further and further away, looked like a tiny spec in the distance below. The air grew colder, freezing me as a fierce wind blew, as lightning struck and thunder roared along with the sky and earth as if they were cursing and laughing at me. Scared that I couldn't control my soul, my consciousness, or whatever I was now, I screamed and screamed, and started falling, as if to my death.

A voice in my head urged me. "Wake up now. If you fall when you're in this state you'll die before your time!"

I continued falling at the speed of light it seemed. My mind registered the words twitch your fingers and I obeyed. Instantly, I awoke terrified at what I'd just experienced. Though I realized it was only a dream, I was shaken by how real it all felt and so the division between dream and reality seemed blurry. What was going on with me today? Why this madness?

Extinguishing my distress, I took my suitcase and went to my room, which to my surprise had remained untouched. Perhaps, it was because there were three other rooms so no one needed it. However, if they did, I'm sure they would have used it. Not that it mattered now anyway, since I was going to be dead soon.

Looking at the clock on the wall I saw that it was 3:15 p.m. Opening my suitcase, I picked up the large art tubes and set them aside. Then I took out the small pouch in the corner and looked inside. It wasn't a lot but it was something. I just had to find the right person for the plan I had in mind.

Moments later a familiar voice called out from outside. I rushed out and saw that it was Beth Thompson, our kindliest motherly neighbor. "Heidi!" she said, looking pleasantly surprised upon seeing me. The next minute she grabbed me in a tight hug.

"Hi, how's everything?" I asked after she released me.

"Good," she said, looking me over and I almost thought I recognized the sadness in her eyes. "You saw your mother?"

"Yes," I replied.

A pregnant silence weighed upon us.

I grew curious. "How long has she been ill?" I asked.

Beth seemed thoughtful as she spoke. "Sorry, not sure. After you left I used to come to visit her, until she got sick and whenever I asked to see her they'd say she was sleeping. So I never got to see her until a month ago when I came with a group from church to pray for her."

My curiosity increased. "When did you first learn of her illness?" I asked.

"It was sometime after the last time you visited. About a week later," she said. Moments later her eyes and mouth opened wider as she looked at me unblinking, as though something suddenly occurred to her. "You didn't know?" she asked.

"No. It's news to me," I said.

"I thought they told you."

"No one told me."

We stood silently looking at each other.

I remembered my mother's words. "She said they've been squandering the money they get for her. And she barely gets anything to eat."

"What? Are you sure?" she asked, appearing shocked.

"Yes," I said.

"How are you so sure?"

"She told me, and in the past, they often spent her money unwisely. And besides, the cupboards are bare."

She shook her head. "Did you ask them about it?"

"No. My mom's words are enough for me to believe it," I said.

"I've heard rumors about them squandering the money, and whenever I come by they have some new gadget, like a phone, or something. But I also know that your brother earns an okay living, working for the factory."

"Yes, he does. The thing is they're starving my mother."

Beth looked at me, a shocked expression on her face. "Starving?"

"My mom said so, and she wouldn't lie to me," I said.

"Heidi... I don't think you should jump to conclusions. Wait until your brother comes and have a talk with him."

I believed my mother over anyone and was ready to defend her. "So, you're saying my mom's lying? She's never lied, and never will! It's not like her." My tone came out serious and I was afraid I'd hurt Beth with my outburst.

Beth hesitated, looking afraid. Moments later she spoke. "Heidi... your mother's not...well."

"I know that," I said, wondering why she was stating the obvious.

"No. I mean, she's not... right mentally."

It hurt to hear her saying that. My kindly neighbor was slandering my good precious mother. Confusion claimed me. "What?" I asked, shocked at how cold I sounded, as I felt faint suddenly.

She continued explaining. "The last time I was here...your brother... he said... your mom... she has brain cancer."

What? Cancer? The floor spun as my eyes filled with tears.

Within moments Beth was beside me, holding me up. "It has affected her thinking," she said.