Chapter 20

Later that evening

Clop, clack, clop! The clickety-clack of wood striking wood stirred me from my slumber. I peered out, spying the dingy darkness before shutting my eyes against the sudden piercing glare. In a flash, it subsided. I peered out again, just as a window slammed shut, cloaking the room in blackness.

I sat up and waited as my eyes adjusted to the gloom and the bluish tint returned, illuminating the area near me. Yes, my eyes were light, after all. Shifting suddenly, my hands brushed against something—It was the newspaper article from this morning.

At once, memories came knocking. I'd fallen asleep after retiring to my room when Sinella left for another of her errands. I'd contemplated many things before drifting off. Among them were my mother's ailing condition, the pandemonium in the village, and the third was Sinella's recent revelations. Afterward, I'd drifted into slumberland. I was glad I got some sleep, but such relief was short-lived as a scraping etching sound sneaked it's way into my brain before growing in intensity and deafening me. I clasped my hand to my ears as the sound morphed into ear piercing ringing, followed by clamoring. Then in a sudden all was quiet. And before I could sigh from relief, the windows flung outward—this time it was all three windows, and not just one.

They were all quickly shut again. And from the dim bluish glow near my bed a shadow emerged from beneath and swarmed around me passing through me and making my blood run cold. Then it appeared before me.

It was my jinni guide. But strangely just before it visualized I swore I looked upon the death angel that first appeared to me on Christmas Eve. How strange!