Chapter 18

When I came to, I was floating in the water, my body icy. I quickly steadied myself upwards, before pressing the water from my eyes. I was inside a cave of some sort, and the water was gushing in full speed at one end, as if departing the cavern. Two water humanoids nodded at me and collapsed upon themselves, before going away with the deluge. In a matter of moments, all the water had departed, leaving me in an empty cavern. I could hear the clatter of my teeth as I shivered uncontrollably from the cold.

My eyes slowly adjusted to the dimly lit cavern, just before a brilliant illuminance dazzled me. Looking upward toward the source, I saw the moonlight reflected through the water, the base of which looked frozen. I turned my attention back to the cave, just as my eyes overcame its bedazzled state and adjusted once more to see white crystalized walls. I stood up and approached a huge crystal, as big as myself, in the middle of the cavity. It looked like some sort of totem and contained symbols that glowed golden. The crystal seemed to radiate heat and I hovered close to it, warming my icy body.

At first, I thought I was alone, but my eyes caught onto something that shifted in the corners of the cavern. Looking toward it I quickly readied myself to run and hide. Where to? I had no idea—maybe back out, into the lake up overhead. Though, I had not the slightest clue how I'd get past the icy entrance. A chill ran up my spine as a shadowy figure emerged and stood beside a crystal fountain at one end of the cave. Its piercing eyes held me in a deathly stare. I moved back, in a panic, just as it glided toward me, and as I braced for its approach, it disappeared into thin air.

The cave began to echo. "Drink, drink, drink!"

I stared at the fountain as I slowly approached it.

The cave continued its chant. "Drink, drink! Heidi, drink!"

I stared at the water flowing from the fountain, feeling my head dizzy, and everything going blurry.

The cavern continued its chant. "Drink. Drink the water of the fountain or you'll die. Drink. Drink!"

I contemplated whether I shall indeed drink, and before I knew it I felt myself falling, before finally touching the cold ground. Everything went hazy, and I could hear nothing but silence. I tried to rise but could not. After a while, a cloaked figure stood over me. It stooped and held my head up as it poured something from what looked like a crystal goblet. I turned my head away in defiance, but it held my face firmly and poured the liquid into my parched mouth. I tried to spit it out, but the continuous trickle pushed it down again, making me cough as some seeped down my throat, with most of it trickling down my neck. The rust tasting liquid burned terribly, and swallowing became painful. Confused, I stared at the creature who begun a queer chant as it continued to force the liquid down my sore throat.

I tried to resist but was too weak. What had the creature given me to drink? Was I dying? Was it all a lie, and I was finally going to die here? I slipped in and out of consciousness, and at one moment, I swore I was lying somewhere near the roadside, for I saw vehicles passing by. It was at the end of my village, at the edge of the thick forest. Then, I saw my mother. She was crying for me, and telling me that she is hungry and she misses me. I saw Beth, too, all sad. And so were my best friends form school. All the people were gathered under a tent, and it was as if they were mourning someone. But whom, I had no idea. My heart wretched and wrung from the pain I felt on seeing them grieving. I was screaming inside.

At that moment I looked through a tiny slit in my eyes to see the hooded creature rising and smiling at me. Some others joined it, in its watching, before breaking out into laughter, wild laughter, as if they were all jesting at me.

I tried to move but couldn't. I tried to scream but no words escaped my lips. Weakness overcame me. My eyelids were lead, and though I tried so hard to open them to look around me, I couldn't. I lay there, waiting, praying, and listening. The last thing I remembered was the sound of silence. Only it wasn't quite silent, but more like a low hum—low at first, then slowly rising and piercing, until everything went blank.

Sometime afterward, not sure how long, though I knew it was still nighttime, I felt myself engulfed by the water again. I was floating with the current, for a while, before moving along to someplace that felt grassy and soft. I lay there, willing my strength back, and slowly feeling slightly better. Consciousness was slowly returning to me. How and why, I had not the faintest idea.

In and out of that state, a voice spoke to me. "If you hadn't drunk the liquid you'd be dead by now. You'll have your strength returned to you by morning. You'll be as good as new. Whenever you feel your life waning, just drink the water from the fountain in the crystal cavern. But, the more you drink, you're closer to dying."

Confused, I forced my eyes open, and peered around me, expecting to see the speaker. But there was no one there. Perhaps, it was my own consciousness speaking, or perhaps it was only a dream.

But, was what I heard true? Would drinking the water of the cavern bring me closer to death's door? Then, why was it that if I hadn't drunk of it, I'd be dead by now. I thought completing my deeds would prolong my life? I guess I had to hurry and complete my unfinished deeds. It was the only way I knew of, to escape that deathly promise that's always creeping up to me.