Chapter 7

Approaching the back road which led to our house, I noticed a crowd near the roadside and sensed some turbulence there. I drew nearer and looked around, spotting an old man cowering on the ground amidst a mob who hurled insults at him. Some people even held rocks in their hands about to strike him.

Getting nearer, I noticed one woman gesturing toward the man. "Go away from here," she screamed at him.

Another man shouted. "Yes, go away, you filthy swine!"

The man coughed and raised his head slightly as he remained prostrate on the ground. He looked familiar. "I just want some water to bathe," he begged, his voice horse.

Another woman mocked. "You? Bathe?"

"There's no water," another woman said.

The old man broke out into a coughing fit and rose slowly as if he was afraid the mob would hit him. His face, lit by the street light, was suddenly recognizable. It was Mr. Murray, another one of our socially displaced villagers, whom everyone called Mad Reds. Mr. Murray, my father used to say, was once a high ranking respectable man, with a high ranking job. He was so important that a helicopter would take him to and from his work, but drugs had turned him into the scourge that he'd become.

"Go away from here," another man said.

The old man's cough lessened and he began walking out of the street with his head lowered and his bucket in his hand, as the crowd began to disperse.

My heart sank to the ground as I looked at the old man. I rushed up to him and called out. "Good night, Mister Murray," I said.

The old man continued walking, as if he hadn't heard.

I ran to stand before him, stopping him from proceeding. "Mister. You said you wanted some water to bathe?"

He raised his head to look at me briefly. Eyes that mirrored deep regret and sorrow peered at me before being lowered again. "Yes. Little Miss," he said.

"You can come to my house. We've got water."

Amidst wide eyed stares, gestures and mumblings, I led him to my house. Beth, who was standing outside, had seen everything and was proud of me. We led the old man to the enclosed outdoor shower, and gave him soap and a change of clothes which previously belonged to my father. When he had finished we offered him supper which he accepted gratefully and ate hungrily. Afterward, he thanked us and left, smiling happily.

It was now 11:00 p.m. I checked in on my mom and was glad to see her sleeping soundly. Beth had left not long after Mr. Murray had. Ray, Emily and Doretta were not back as yet, and thinking of my impending doom, I decided to pass the night sitting beside mom and watching her sleep. I fought a silent battle with oncoming tears, as I prepared to say goodbye to her.

I hadn't seen, nor heard the creature since this evening and wondered about it, afraid to think it had changed it's mind, remembering that when I thought the same, it reappeared at once. But now, my mind thought of nothing else, as I prepared to silently say goodbye to my mother, yet it didn't show its face.

Remembering my impending doom on the morn, I sat in the dim glow of the night light, and cried my hear out, all the while as I looked at my dear sweet mothers she slept. I was going to die in a few hours. I wouldn't ever see her again. Nor would my eyes behold my goodly friends, nor this village, ever again—at least, not in this life. I leaned back and closed my eyes and let the tears fall. They cascaded in torrents upon torrents, and somehow by some great miracle I finally nodded off.

I awoke again at the stroke of midnight to the sound of the clock chiming, just before a burst of fireworks rocketed through the quiet night. I moved the curtains and peered out to see a display of blazing colors that burned up the darkness. The noise woke my mom too.

She stirred in her sleep and peered out at me. "Heidi," she said, surprise to see me sitting beside her bed.

I squeezed her hand, and forced a smile. "Merry Christmas, mom."

"Christmas?" she asked.

"Yes it is."

She seemed to understand and smiled at me. "Merry Christmas, Heidi." Shortly afterward, she motioned to the pillow beside her. "Come get some sleep. You going to sit there all night?"

"Was just looking at you sleep."

"Come get some sleep child."

I obeyed and climbed into the bed and lay down next to her. I closed my eyes and tried to sleep.

"Is that fireworks?" she asked.

"Yes," I replied.

She turned toward me and looked at me. "How was the Christmas Eve party?"

"It was good."

"Is Ray and Emily back yet?"

"No." I thought she should get back to sleep, but then remembered I needed to say goodbye to her. I was going to do it in an indirect way. "Goodnight mom. Always know that I love you so much. You're the best mother in the whole wide world. You really are." I kissed her cheek and hugged her, as I fought back the tears as I said the words—not that she could see them, for we were in the dark—but scared that she'd hear the tremor in my voice. Luckily she didn't.

"I love you too, Heidi." She smiled weakly as she looked at me.

I held onto her hand and squeezed it, forcing a smile, as I thought of the condition I was leaving her in. "Promise me you'll take the chemo therapy, okay mom. Promise me."

"I promise."

"Everything will work out. I'll pray for it to work out."

She nodded.

"Now close your eyes and lets go to sleep," I urged.

I closed my eyes and tried to fall asleep too. It was the first step—keeping my eyes closed. I thought of my oncoming doom, and opened my eyes after a while and looked at my mother to see that she had fallen asleep, with her right hand gently touching mine. I left it there and closed my eyes again, trying to settle back to sleep. But, it seemed it was going to be a long night before I could fall asleep. I lay there and finally let her hands go before turning to my side. I closed my eyes once more and tried, but sleep couldn't come to me. I tossed a few times more and felt my mother stir. And then afraid to wake her, I stopped myself from tossing and turning again. Froze myself in one spot, I did, and closed my eyes and waited. Finally sleep came to me.