Chapter 6

I left my yard and ambled within the shadows of the narrow track toward the main street.

The wind picked up and howled eerily as if to foreshadow my impending doom. "Make the most of the time you've got, Heidi!" it seemed to say.

I reached the main road and continued along in the direction of the village square, glancing at the people promenading about in heightened spirits. Some headed in the same direction as me, while others approached with their jolly greetings—jolting me into greater despair, having to display a stable smile. Still, I returned every greeting, exaggeratedly forcing the curvature of my lips upward, as I cursed death's callousness in silence. The creature appeared mostly when I was alone, I thought, except for the one time when I sat with my mother, though it had escaped her vision. Anyway, I deduced it wouldn't appear to me in a crowd.

I spotted Ole Miss St Clair standing at the edge of the pavement grappling with her walking stick, which wobbled uncontrollably as she appeared to look right through everything, her eyes nervously fluttering about as passers-by seemed oblivious to her. "Good evening, Miss St Clair," I called.

She looked straight through me, as any sightless person would, and her lips quivered as if she'd seen a ghost.

"Is everything alright?" I asked.

"Biscuits?" she asked.

"What?"

"Ehm—I can't find my Biscuits!"

"Biscuits?" I asked, confused.

She looked through me again, pointing into the distance. "Biscuits... over there."

Turning, I noticed a dog barking wildly at an old man beside the pavement. I instantly recognized him as Mr. Boodoo, one of the few socially displaced villagers. A rope was tied around his waist holding up his trouser, and he seemed to not have taken a bath in weeks, or months, or perhaps longer.

"Biscuits is your dog?" I asked, turning around to face her again.

"Yes."

"Oh. He's over there. I'll go get him." I walked up to the dog and grabbed his leash as the old man looked up at me. "Do you have anything for me to eat?" he asked.

"Come to the village fair tonight, Mr. Boodoo. I'll buy you something to eat."

"Alright," he nodded and smiled broadly, as he watched me walk the dog to Miss St Clair, who beamed happily the moment she held the dog's leash in her hand.

I watched till she secured her front gate and walked inside before moving along down the street as feelings of happiness and sorrow engulfed me as they fought a silent battle to win over my heart and head, leaving me nostalgic.

A short while later, I was at the village square. The band on the stage was playing a popular Christmas song as many people looked on, seated around a makeshift wooden stage, while others danced merrily to the festive tune. Ray and Emily sat listening to the band. I didn't notice Doretta anywhere and guessed she must be somewhere around.

Familiar voices from behind me called out suddenly. "Heidi! Nice to see you!"

Turning, I was thrilled to see Cindy and Shirley, two of my best friends from primary school. We hugged and exchanged pleasantries.

Moments later more voices called out. "Hey! You guys!"

Looking around I was even more thrilled to see the rest of the gang, also from primary school, Emma and Susie. Tears of joy pricked my eyes as we hugged and greeted each other, and I thought of those days when we were little and all the fun we had. I remembered the many games we played, like hide and seek, gun shooting, tag, cricket, red light green light, and some we even made up ourselves.