Chapter 5

Not long afterward, Doretta had returned and joined Emily in making supper. Mom had awoken, and I helped her bathe and tidy herself. Then I sat with her and we talked, mainly about her cancer treatment.

She seemed to agree to it. "Yes," she said, nodding.

"You're sure? You'll take the cancer treatment?"

"What do you think I should do?"

"You should take it."

"I'll take it then."

It surprised me how easily she told me yes, when my brother and his wife had insisted that she refused it. Was my mother the same woman they described?

At 5:30 p.m. Emily, Doretta and Ray sat in the small dining room, having supper, as I ate with mom in her bedroom. Afterward, they got dressed for the Christmas Eve party in the village square and left.

Once more I was alone with my mom, and felt grateful for the opportunity since it was our last evening together. I remembered the creature and expected its return, looking around me nervously. Luckily it didn't. On top of my mother's wardrobe, I saw our old family albums and rose to get them. Using a small towel, I wiped the dust away, and together we went through them. There were photos taken since before my birth and afterward, until last year, just before I started school at St. Catherine's Convent in Glenvale. Going through them, our eyes danced between happy delight and tearfulness. They were memories we'd cherish forever, if we were alive to cherish them. But what happens after you're dead I wondered? If consciousness was a product of our brain cells, as my father used to say, what happens when we are no longer connected to a brain. Do we still remember, or are we cast off into nothingness?

Suddenly, the lights began flickering, until they went off, leaving us in the dark. Then I heard a door slam. I rose and fumbled my way through the house. Soon, I was in the kitchen and got a box of matches. I lit one and looked around. There was a lamp on top of the kitchen cupboard. I reached for it and lit it. As I was walking toward my mother's room, I noticed that the front door was open and I went to close it and stumbled in fright. Outside, three dark shadows shambled in the darkness. On seeing me, they stopped, and it was then I noticed their red eyes glowing in the darkness. They looked like dead people who'd come alive. My heart threatened to out-beat itself, as my breaths came in swiftly and I turned cold. I lay the lamp on the floor and shut the door. Then I eased the curtains slightly and peered out the front door's glass. There was nothing out there. I breathed deep and with forced bravery I opened the front door, making a silver of an opening, and peered out. Seeing nothing, I opened it wider. The shadows had disappeared. Growing calmer, I closed the door and picked up the lamp.

Sudenly, a deep, throaty voice whispered. "Heiii! Heidddd! Heidiiiii! The deaddd areee coming for youuuu!"

I hurried inside my mother's room and shut the door, looking around nervously. A shadow appeared and vanished outside my mom's window. Trembling, I hung the lamp on the wall adjacent to the bed and turned toward my mother. I froze on seeing the creature hovering above her head. It didn't speak, but only lingered a moment before it disappeared.

I sat beside my mother again, and now and then I cast fearful looks around me. After a while, I settled down and turned my focus to my mother. I reassured her she won't ever be hungry again. "Don't worry, mom. I spoke to Ray, and he promised he'll never leave you hungry again," I said, wondering if he'd keep his word. Then I remembered my time was running out and thought of my plan again. "I'll find someone to look out for you in case it happens again. Tomorrow." Instantly, I realized my trepidation. I had no claim to tomorrow. I had to do it tonight. But what if my plan didn't go as planned? My mother was under my brother's care and, so, he was the right one to help her. It had to be him. I'll do my part and hope for the best. Everything else was now up to God and my brother.

My mother's voice broke me out of my thoughts. "Heidi, how are you doing in school?"

I smiled, knowing that in all her illness, she was still thinking about me. "School's great, mom!" I said.

"I know I told you don't leave me again. But I shouldn't have asked that of you. Please forgive me. I want you to complete your studies."

I knew it wasn't possible, with our finances, and a creature after me. Still, I said nothing. I looked at her and decided not to worry her further. "Don't worry, mom. Something will work out. Let's think positive." I said, patting her hand as she smiled weakly.

I sat with her until she fell asleep. Not long afterward, the electricity came back. I left her bedroom and walked in every corner, nook, cranny and room of the house. I lingered at each place and fought the tears from my eyes as memories of the past flooded my brain.

Suddenly, I heard Beth's voice. She'd come to stay with my mother and encouraged me to go to the Christmas Eve party in the village square. I didn't feel like going, but went anyway. I needed to see all my dear people before I departed this earth. They wouldn't know it, but I was going to say goodbye.