Chapter Eight - Friends and Ex's

"I'm going to

"I'm going to... what?" I was dumbfounded. Although I knew something dangerous was going to happen, I didn't think that they'd make me turn myself over.

"I know it's a lot to take in, but you'll have a backup plan and..." Easton hesitated. Why is everyone hesitating?

"And what? You're all hesitating. There's something you're not telling me. What is it?" I said this with as much force as I could muster. I glared at every single one of them. Why are they having trouble telling me everything? Is it worse than I think it is? Did something happen while I was out? What the hell is going on?

"Uh... V, we know you need some sort of help during this mission...and since most of us have got our own things to deal with, we decided it would be best if you worked with Harrison and your team." Vera whispered. I barely even registered what she was saying.

I sat back in my chair and stared at the floor. There was no point in fighting this, we would have to see each other again someday. Especially if we work in the same organisation. I had always envied Harrison. About a year ago, we broke up. He had manipulated me, played with my feelings, and then eventually got bored and cheated on me. Vera had been begging me for months to end our relationship, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. The number of problems I have developed because of that relationship is overwhelming. After the breakup, he had moved on pretty quickly. He jumped from relationship to relationship. A few months later I had fallen in love with Ace, and Harrison had always had a problem with our relationship. Harrison stopped dating after Ace and I became official, it was almost as if he was jealous.

"Victoria, we know your past with him isn't... great, but we have no choice at the moment. Your team should be in the main lounge area on floor 2. You can discuss the plan with them. Harrison will meet you tomorrow morning." Aaron said as he patted my head. My mind was racing with thoughts, and I couldn't deal with the pressure anymore. All eyes were on me as I stood up and walked out. I had nothing left to say or do. There was no point in fighting because that wouldn't change the plan. It had to be done.

+ + + +

I made my way down to the second floor. I opened the grand doors to the lounge and saw five familiar faces congregating on a nearby red sofa. I was surprised none of them had joined the meeting with the originals, seeing as they were a part of the mission as well. None of them had texted or called me either, but they probably had other things to worry about. With the whole HQ moving, they were probably too busy to even realise I was back.

"Ha! Uno! And you thought I wouldn't win Asher." Luna yelled. It was so loud, a couple of people flashed annoyed glances at the group.

"Well, technically you haven't won yet." Asher mumbled. He dragged a hand through his light brown hair before looking back down at the stack of cards.

Asher grumbled to himself when Luna placed down her last card and squealed in excitement. He crossed his arms over his chest and pouted like a toddler.