Chapter Thirty - Dimples

The warehouse we had visited earlier this morning wasn't the one

The warehouse we had visited earlier this morning wasn't the one. I was so certain, but the more we observed the more we realised that it was just another normal warehouse starting it's day.

As we were walking back toward the car, I realised this warehouse was on an exceptionally busy street. I pulled my hood down further and stood closer to Victoria.

I contemplated grabbing her hand after seeing many people giving us strange looks. After all, we looked like drug dealers or something. With hoods over our faces and our hands shoved deep inside our pockets.

Before I could decide, Victoria grabbed my hand and pulled me closer to her side.

"We keep getting weird looks, just play along." She added a laugh and put her head on my shoulder.

I was so incredibly stunned, I couldn't think of anything to say. So, I just laughed along with her and put my head on hers. I took in her lavender scent as we continued down the street.

"Where should we go next Angel?"

"We should go back and start making a couple lists of places we need to visit. We should limit these visits to an hour each, and if any suspicious activity is going on we can come back at night and check on it again."

I nodded. My grip tightened around her hand as we walked past a couple more people. She whispered random things into my ear and told me to laugh after she's said anything.

Sometimes the incoherent things she said earned a real laugh. Sometimes she laugh as well.

It was one of the best sounds I've ever heard.

We finally reached our car. Victoria threw me the keys and I hopped into the driver's seat.

Victoria huffed as she yanked her beanie and scarf off.

"Why are people so nosy here?"

"Not sure Toria, just how it is."

"Hopefully that changes soon. It's so damn hard to wear a scarf and a beanie."

I chuckled, "Isn't it keeping you warm?"

"Of course, it is, but this material sucks."

"Sorry, I didn't realise you had a specific material choice. Polyester is pretty soft if you ask me."

She scoffed as I turned on the car. She reached out toward the heater dial at the same time as me. Our fingers brushed against each other, but neither of us moved for a beat.

"Sorry, go ahead." I said and brought my hand back to the steering wheel.

She gave me a small smile before turning the dial to her desired heat and bringing her hand back to her lap. She fiddled with her scarf and looked out the window.

"So back to the motel for now? So, we can formulate a plan?"

"Mhm, I'll call Davina and Vera as well."

I nodded and took the car out of park.

++++

"Alright. Okay, bye Vera. Stay safe. You too, bye."

Victoria blew out a breath and walked over to the desk I was sitting at.

I had been shuffling a couple photos around. I had been writing all the details Davina had given to us over the phone on the back of the printed photos.

"Everything alright?" I asked Victoria as she came up and stood behind me.

"Yeah, everything's fine."

I turned in my seat and stared up at her. "Everything doesn't look fine. What's on your mind Toria?"

She sighed and laid down on our bed.

"It's nothing, I'm just replaying Easton's words over and over again. It just doesn't make sense why he would want to protect Amelia, and why she's telling you to stop the mission."

I turned around and picked up all the photos. I neatly piled them up in a drawer and then stood up and laid down next to Victoria.

"It's confusing, isn't it? We barely know anything about my parents backstories, and the Sinister Seven's backstories. It could all link, but why would my mother have a link with one of the biggest rebelling groups." I stated.

I rolled over so I could get a better look at Victoria's expressions while we talked about this, only to realise she was already staring at me.

My cheeks warmed and I was about to look away, but I couldn't help but stare into her dazzling emerald eyes. They sparkled in the fluorescent light.

She gazed into mine as well. As if trying to see what was in them, or what feeling they were showing.

Neither of us moved.

I smiled. So did she.

And it was one of the most gorgeous things my eyes have ever seen. Her dimples always popped out when she really smiled. I noticed it when we first started dating, whenever she was with me and smiling, her dimples would show. But when we were around others and she smiled, her dimples vanished.

I fought the urge to kiss them.

"Where are we heading next Ace?" She broke eye contact and sat up. Her smile was gone, and soon after so was mine.

"Well, Davina gave me a location that wasn't very far from the one we had just checked out. The warehouse has a blue roof, and blue wall trims. It doesn't seem like a hit since it holds blue candy, but we can try. I've got a list we can use for tomorrow, but for now, we can rest."

I never realised how exhausted I was until we finally got back into our room. I had a pounding headache and I think a good night's sleep would get rid of it.

Guess the stress has just gotten to me now. Last night, even with Victoria's pinkie latched onto mine, I couldn't fall asleep. Every time I closed my eyes, I just saw Kai's bruised and bloodied face.

I swallowed the bile and watched as Victoria nodded and walked toward the bathroom.

We were both on edge, and I don't think we will be able to relax for a long, long time.