Chapter Thirty Three - Foreign Feelings

After what felt like years, we finally had a clear lead

Ace and I slammed our car doors and bolted toward our room. We had been scoping out a new, fairly large warehouse. It wasn't blue, it was red. I was sceptical at first, but I followed Ace anyways onto the rooftop of a nearby building and watched along with him.

The first few things I noticed were there were no employees to be found outside. Every warehouse we had checked out had multiple employees running in and out of the warehouse to collect boxes and supplies that came on massive trucks. But there was none of that at this one.

If a truck did come in, it was always a small pick up truck loaded with two or three small boxes.

Another thing I looked into was the guards stationed at every single entrance. All in black uniforms, all with guns attached to their hips or in their hands and all staring straight ahead of them.

The guards were the ones who took the boxes from the small pick up trucks. They simply cracked open the door just enough so the box would be able to slide through. They pushed the box through and slammed the door shut.

Super suspicious.

The windows were also tinted, so we couldn't see anything that was going on inside. Apart from a window on the roof, it had been left open, almost as if whoever was inside was... waiting for someone?

It didn't matter, we had a lead and that was all that I cared about.

I pushed the door shut and locked it, then turned around to see Ace already shifting through the photo pile for a hundredth time today.

"Want me to call Davina?" I asked as I crouched down and tugged my shoes off. I brushed the snow off my coat and hood before yanking it off and throwing it into our shared closet.

"Nah, let's just analyse what we've got so far and then we can inform the others."

"Okay, anything you saw that I didn't?"

"I'm almost certain you took in every single detail you could."

I laughed and flopped onto the bed. It was evening now; we had been sitting on that rooftop for roughly nine hours. It was gruelling, but so damn worth it.

"Well then, if I saw everything why I don't fill you in first."

Ace put the photos down and laid down next to me. Our arms were brushing up against each other and we were both staring at the plain cream coloured ceiling.

"Alright smart alec, go ahead."

I turned my head and flicked his nose. He immediately swatted my lingering hand away and rubbed his nose.

After my laughter had died down, I filled him in about everything I had taken in whilst we were on the rooftop.

He either hummed in response, stayed silent or added to what I had said.

Turns out he had taken in almost everything I had. The only thing he hadn't was the window on the roof.

"I think we should check it out. And get a closer look at what we are dealing with."

I put my hands on my abdomen and turned once again to face him. He was already staring at me.

My face burned but I didn't look away. Instead, I smiled as his eyebrows knitted together while he studied my face.

"I don't know Victoria. It seems pretty dangerous, maybe we should notify the team first. Didn't you see how lethal the guards looked?"

"Puh-lease, I've dealt with worse. I had to deal with you." I wiggled my eyebrows at him. He groaned and rubbed a hand all over his face.

He muttered something into his hand before removing it and sitting up.

"Huh? I didn't quite catch that." I rolled off the bed and stalked toward the closet.

"Nothing, can we go to bed? I think I'm hallucinating from exhaustion."

I grabbed Ace and I's pyjamas from the drawers of the closet. I turned around and threw his at his face and walked toward the bathroom to change.

"I have one last question." I didn't bother closing the door, even if he did see me, it was nothing out of the unusual. We had dated before, and he can't hear me well if the door is closed and I'm trying to speak with him and change at the same time.

"Yeah?"

"When did Amelia tell you about the mission?"

"The night before you left for HQ. Why?"

"How would she know if we hadn't even told Easton yet? Or anyone besides the team, Kai, Madeline and you?"

I had been thinking about that all day long. It was a thought that I couldn't get rid of. Surely, there had to be some sort of normal explanation, it can't be anything bad...can it?

"I never thought about that."

I pulled my shirt over my head and then tossed my old clothes back into the closet. I walked to the front door and double checked the lock.

"It's so weird. How would she know? How on earth would she know? Nothing adds up, it's so confusing and it gives me a damn headache every time I think about it." 

"Hm, any possibilities you've come up with?" 

"If I had any I would've told you by now you imbecile." 

He laughed and so did I. He smiled for the first time in hours.

And it was because of me.

Me!

My entire body felt like it was on fire when he looked down at me with those sympathetic eyes of his.

"C'mon, I'm severely sleep deprived. We can talk about this tomorrow." I mumbled.

He nodded and made his way to the other side of the bed as I made my way to my side. I slipped into the sheets and sighed at the comfort. We both flipped our lamps off, so the only thing illuminating our room was the moonlight and distant streetlamps.

I didn't understand what the hell this feeling was, but it made me all tingly and warm. I loved it, but I hated how foreign it felt.

I didn't know what was causing it, but then I turned onto my other side, so I was facing Ace's back. He probably felt my sudden shift and rolled over as well. I yawned and gave him a small, sleep smile.

"Night." I murmured.

"Goodnight, Angel." He whispered back. His hand came up toward my face, he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear, his hand trailed down the side of my body before it entwined with my hand.

I squeezed his hand in response and closed my eyes. The last thing I saw was Ace's stunning green eyes and drowsy smile. 

a/n: thank you so much for all the reads and votes! it means so much to me!! have a lovely day :))