Backstabber

I  honestly couldn't even process this. I had dedicated my entire life to these people and they had all been keeping monumental secrets. They were the reason this was all happening.

It was quiet among all of us. The only sounds were the noises of the machinery below. The metal scraping against metal and the sparks flying off. "Are you kidding me?" I said quietly.

No one heard me so I turned and faced Fury. "Are you kidding me?" I said, much louder this time. 

The same blank expression as always occupied his face. 

"Do you even know what you've done?" I say angrily, my voice rising. "You are responsible for the death of my best friend and SO many others." I scream. 

"How could you..." I whisper barely loud enough to hear. 

"Let me-" He began but I pushed past him, cutting him off.

I started to descend the staircase down into the building zone. 

"You can't go down there!" Fury shouted after me. 

I didn't listen. 

"Stop her." Fury urged my friends. No one moved. They didn't dare to. Why would they? They were all as shocked and furious as I was. This information was vital to our investigation and not to mention to harm it could do to the people. 

I reached the bottom of the staircase and saw several armed men walking towards me. I tilted my head and glared at them. A few shifted uncomfortable but nevertheless continued towards me. I heard more footsteps descending the stairs but didn't feel the need to turn back. 

"Don't touch her." Bucky growled as a few of the armed men approached me. 

They didn't listen. They pulled their ICERS from their holsters and raised them at me. I laugh softly to myself before lunging at them. I duck as they fire at me and sweep their feet from below them. I turn and kick the gun from the man behind me and it clatters to the ground. I push him aside as I slide across the ground and pick up his fallen gun. I raise it and shoot the four of them with the ICERS and they all fall to the ground unconscious. 

Before continuing towards the weapons I glare up at Fury, daring him to test me again. His emotionless expression still hadn't changed. Heartless. Among the commotion of the fight all of SHIELD's engineers and scientists had scattered. I walked around to each section of the building zone, examining everything laid out before me. The alien technology had been adapted into weapons, serums, and other small and dangerous devices. 

Suddenly Fury was beside me. "We needed a way to better protect ourselves from beyond our Earth. We've been careful"

"Not careful enough." I hiss. Him and his excuses. "You didn't think to tell any of us? Ask for our help?" 

"This doesn't concern you." Fury solemnly responds.

I can't help but laugh in his face. "How can you tell me that this doesn't concern me when ALL OF THIS has changed EVERYTHING. How can you sit there and act as if you have no fault in the death of my friends, in the creation of this organization. You can lie to me, you can lie to them, but at the end of the day you can't lie to yourself." 

He's silent. 

"Shut it down." Says Steve from behind me. "You've had enough and it obviously isn't playing out the right way."

"I can't" Fury snaps back. "This is too big to shut down. We'll just need to increase security."

"You incompetent asshole!" I scream at him. "Your ego is too big to admit when you're in the wrong. I'm ending this with or without your help."

With that I turn on my heels and climb the stairs. I hear Steve and Natasha arguing with Fury. Sam and Bucky follow me up the stairs. I'm fuming as I pass the agents working at their desks. This was all bullshit. I wonder how many of them knew. One of them was working for the rising order. One of them was responsible for the death of my best friend. There faces blurred together into a fumbled mess in my brain. Someone here had stabbed me in the back and twisted the knife until they couldn't anymore. They had tried to break me. No one breaks me.

I stood in the lobby with Bucky and Sam waiting for Steve and Nat to join us. I watch as people enter and exit the building, creating an idea of them being the one to betray us. This was excruciating. 

When they finally came out we got into the car and Bucky drove us home. 

"Is he going to do anything?" I ask trying to calm myself down.

"No. He did this is 2012 too." Nat responds. "He's too stubborn."

I scoff. Of course he wouldn't do anything. For as long as I've known Fury he's always been like this. 

When we finally get back to the tower we all go upstairs to find everyone else. They're all sitting around the living room talking with images and maps up on the large tv mounted on the wall.

"Anything?" Tony asks.

I smile and shake my head. "Oh yea. SHEILD is building weapons using the alien tech from 2012 in some super secret room behind Fury's office and someone is supplying the Rising Order with those weapons."

It was quiet for a minute. 

"I've always disliked SHIELD.." Wanda says hushed.

"He lied to me." I scoff. "We don't need him. Did you guys get anything?" 

"Not really but now that we know a SHIELD agent is helping them we could check the logs of who went on that floor recently." Clint suggests. 

I nod. "Let's get on that."  Bruce turns and starts typing on his computer.

Just then my phone rings in my pocket. I pull it out and see my moms name flash across the screen. 

Bucky looks at me with concern. "I'll be back." I say. 

I take my phone and walk onto the balcony for some privacy. "Hey mom. Everything ok?"

"Y/n! Hi! Everything's ok with us but we came to see you and your apartment in sealed off with caution tape... Where are you..?"

I catch my head in my hand. With everything going on I had forgotten to talk to my parents and fill them in. 

"Yea I'm ok but it's kinda a long story so how about I'll meet you at the cafe down the road and we can talk for a bit?"

"Ok we'll see you in a bit!" She says cheerily. 

I sigh. More to do.