Chapter 9.

Anger curled hot and unstoppable in her gut, like a blazing inferno that wanted to burn her from the inside out. She stormed towards the bathroom and blew open the door. Few minutes later, she came out and took her hijab before leaving her room to the living room.

He raised his head from his phone and rested his eyes on her. She briskly looked away from him as she folded her arms on her chest, tapping one foot on the soft carpet. He exhaled sharply and place upright.

Ahmad looked tough, he looked like he didn't care whatsoever she did. He looked like he could endure her hurtful words or the fact that she was still chasing another man. Deep down in him, he knew he couldn't but he has to. He has to be strong, at least for the sake of ummah.

After they have prayed, he asked Allah for the good of that which has come to them, and seek refuge in Him from evil. Ahmad turned around and faced her. He stared at her face for an uncomfortable amount of time. She ducked her head when she figured out he wasn't going to stop staring and she was petrified to get up and leave.

Instantaneously, he gently placed his palm on her forehead. Ahmad recited a Du'a for her, asking Allah for the goodness within her and the goodness that He has made her inclined towards, and he takes refuge with Allah from the evil within her and evil that Allah has made her inclined towards.

He took his hand off her forehead and got to his feet. Without a back glance, Ahmad ambled towards his room and left her there staring at his retreating back.

Hidayah scoffed and looked away. She rise to her feet, mumbling. She walked in sad silence, back to her room.

Their life went on with no progress concerning their relationship. It has to be one problem to another. It had come to a point where coming home was his great nightmare. Not only because of Hidayah's waywardness, but because of the way she had turned the house. She never tidies up or cook. He was more infuriated about how the house looked untidied.

He looked around the indecent living room, the dining looked way worse than the living room. His vision went fuzzy and he tensed his muscles.

Barging into her room, he walked further into the room until he was standing before her. "Haven't I told you to clean up this house before I come back?" Ahmad desperately tried to sound calm but he couldn't calm his nerves. He had never felt so certain of anything else in his life. He had endured her crap for too long. Nonchalantly, Hidayah raised her head up from the book she was reading. It's been more than 3 months and she still hasn't gotten a new phone. "And haven't I told you to never expect any wife duties from me? Or are you deaf or dumb?" She rolled her eyes afterwards, averting her gaze from him. His eyes pleading gazed upon hers, trying to search for a reason, reason why she was trying him like garbage.

He jerked his head back triumphantly. He couldn't believe what Hidayah had said to him as he fell into utter silence. His mouth opened, his body didn't move. The colour drained from his face as he stared at her in disbelief. "Did you... did you just say that to me?" He finally found his voice. "You know what? Don't bother..." Ahmad sauntered out of the room.

Her laugh was contagious and sounded more like an evil cackle than an expression of amusement. "You haven't seen anything." Her laughter could be heard throughout the house. It made him so infuriated that he had to leave the house.

**

He dropped the take away in front of her and walked out of the room without uttering a word to her. She looked at the paper bag and smirked. Despite the fact that she has been treating him like trash, Ahmad always made sure he bought food for her whenever he was coming back from work. Now it had reached to a point where he has to call her sister, Nafisa to come help her clean the house.