chapter 3.

monday

days left: 29

"You still haven't told me any details of the date with that lad, Michael." Liz hummed while preparing pancakes for Luke.

"And I'm not planning to, mother." Luke sighed, pouring some apple juice in his glass.

"Why not? I barely know anything about your new boyfriend." Liz argued, placing a plate full of pancakes on the dining table, in front of her son.

"It's none of your business, mom."

"Oh really? Because you didn't hesitate to ask me for motherly advice when you were still with A-"

"Can we not talk about him, please?" Luke groaned in frustration, letting his head fall on his hands.

"I'm sorry, but you used to be so close together." Liz sighed, pulling her chair closer to Luke. "He was your first real relationship after all."

"And he has moved on. So will I but I can't not forget him when you keep bringing him up."

There was a weird silence in the air since none of the two exchanged a word, until Liz cleared her throat:

"Aren't you hungry? You'll be starving in school."

"I can buy something to eat."

With that, Luke stood up and left the untouched plate where it was before grabbing his backpack and throwing it over his shoulder.

"At least eat an apple or a banana, Luke."

"Mother-"

"I don't want to have you collapse on the ground just like in elementary school and pick you up in hospital!"

Back in his early days, Luke indeed once collapsed in school because he didn't have breakfast in the morning. Since that event, Liz always made sure he ate something proper before she sent him off to school. The thing was, Luke was already in his last school year.

"Well, that happened how many years ago? Oh yes, when I was nine! Now I'm eighteen and I surely know when I need to eat." The broad boy pointed out.

He was quickly defeated when Liz gave him a glare and pointed to the basket filled with all kinds of fruit. Unwillingly, Luke forced his feet to move away from the door and grabbed an apple on which the middle aged woman smiled in victory.

Luke then sighed: "Anything else?"

"I think Jack would want to have your pancakes then." was Liz's only remark and Luke rolled his eyes, before he headed towards the door and shouted "Goodbye!" and the door fell close behind him.

Deep in his thoughts, the boy walked along the pavement and eventually took a bite out of his apple before he threw it in the next trash can. He wasn't feeling hungry at all.

Suddenly someone shouted "Lucas", making Luke jump up. His surprised expression turned to a slight frown though, once he saw Michael on his holy motorcycle, a prominent smirk painted on his face.

"What do you want?" Luke snorted, continuing to walk to the bus stop while Michael was following him with his vehicle.

"I shall be here to give you a ride to school." Michael shot him a toothy grin and stopped. He thought that Luke wouldn't halt but he did.

"I didn't call you, did I?" Luke furrowed his brows, tucking is hands in the pockets of his black skinny jeans.

"But I'm your boyfriend either way." Michael argued on which Luke nodded in agreement.