~~Ready or not???~~

I looked at my uniform that was laid out perfectly on the chair next to my vanity table, it was looking so out of place in my colourless room. It was blood red in colour and the blazer screamed confidence and elegance, it was paired with a white blouse which was a V- neck and red knee length skirt. I added my own touch of style to it by wearing black tights and combat boots with it.

I was brushing my hair when I heard a weird engine sound so I peeked from my bedroom window and saw a truck shovelling the snow on the road, at least now I didn't have to worry about slipping on the cold snow. I took a final glimpse of my reflection in the mirror and I had this weird unsettling feeling in the pit of my stomach. You see, I wasn't used to uniforms.

You could dress casually back in my school in Germany. But I guess changes are a part of my life and should be adapted.

"Laura, breakfast is ready." My mum called out. Mum shortened my name from Laurita to Laura since it was a mouthful.

"I am on my way." I heaved a sigh and slung my book bag on shoulders.

I was stepping down the spiral staircase grasping the banister and I couldn't help but gawk at the wooden carvings on the grills. I sat on one of the steps and traced the flowers craved and wondered about the different woods it had been carved from.

"Well, look who's here ." My father chimed and took a seat next to me.

"What are you doing here?" He questioned.

"I just got fascinated by the wooden craving." He laughed and I just looked at him dumbfounded.

"I should have expected this my dear since you never saw such works of art at the farm house." He replied. Well, true that. Whenever we came here for the summer we always went to the farmhouse papa owned, it was bland and all since it didn't have that welcoming feeling it was just a modern interior pad.

But this house was just so different. Sure it had all the modern facilities but wooden cravings and panelling on the walls had a different welcoming aura.

"But I still am surprised to know that you didn't notice the cravings on your bedroom door." Papa snapped me out of my trance.

"Yeah well there were a lot of things on my mind last night and as well as this morning so I couldn't notice them." I replied curtly.

"Laura, is it related to the shift?"

"No, it isn't. I am actually busy pondering about how school is going to be."

"My child, I don't know what to tell you but I am sorry for I am the reason for this drastic change. I hope you understand that politics had to call me." Papa's father was a politician and he recently passed away so papa had to acquire his position. Well I do admit that I miss Grandpa, if he were here then everything would have been the way it was. The poor guy died of a heart disease, I didn't see much of him during my stay during the summer but it was enough to know that he was a wise man.

"It's okay I understand. You needn't apologise." I smiled brightly.

"Come let's have breakfast." I helped papa stand up and then headed to the dining room.

"There you are, come have a seat." Mum patted the chair next to her. There were maid servants serving pancakes and pink tea for breakfast.

"Honey, are you ready?" Mum questioned.

"As ready as I'll ever be." I answered though I did question it...