~~Keep warm~~

I bundled up in my blazer as I was looking out of the window waiting for papa. I saw a man shovelling snow on our pathway as well as the driveway. I took my time looking at the outstretched lawn which as covered in snow and the artificial waterfall by the end of the lawn had ice layered on each stone. On either side of the waterfall there were cypress plants aligned, they had grown quite much and soon enough they would cover the view of our house.

Papa walked down the staircase in a suit and as I looked at him I thought of myself to be underdressed. He was wearing a jacket, an overcoat, a high neck sweater, gloves and a beanie where as I was just wearing a blazer for my warmth.

"Papa, is it going to be really cold out there?" I questioned his attire indirectly.

"Of course it is going to be cold out there might as well say you are underdressed for the weather." I looked at him shocked and didn't feel like leaving the comfort of my house.

"Now, now don't make that face I was just pulling your leg. It's just that, it's been quite a long time since I stepped in the winter of Kashmir and it's harsh you see but you'll be fine since you'll barely leave your school building and it'll be as warm as home." I sighed in relief at his response as I saw mum approach us from the lobby.

She was holding kanger which is sort of a fire pot through which you use to keep warm and its only found in Kashmir. Even though the house had a central heating system mum insisted on having it the traditional way. I had seen it before but had never used it since I only came here during the summer. The one mum was holding had these different patterns on did which I was trying to decipher. "Honey, I wish I could come with you but the thing is that I feel a bit jet lagged so forgive me and take care of yourself." Mum kissed my forehead and hugged me.

She let me hold the kanger and told me to take it with me in the car since the heater of the car wasn't working. I looked at the thing in my hands with amusement "papa I'll wait for you in the car." I didn't want to witness my parents's goodbye where mum would go like "honey eat all your food. You turned out to be so frail." When in reality papa had a pot belly but it wasn't too noticeable.

I kept blowing at the ashes in the kanger and every now and the n I would see a spark. The car was right in front of the steps and the butler opened the door for me so much for feeling scared of dying of the cold when I practically was inside the house with car right in front of me. Our driveway passed right in front of the main entrance which had an outstretched ceiling which kept me from walking to garage.

I kept blowing at the ashes as the driver stood by the car door waiting for papa to come. I looked out from the car window which faced the lawn and beyond the walls I could see the streetlight. The streetlights were topped with snow making them look like candies.

Papa entered the car with a wide grin on his face probably mum gave him a kiss. I shake my head from the thought and look out of the widow as the the drive drove through the remote controlled gates. As we exited the colony I noticed a footbridge underneath which the water was slightly frozen and the boats were near the banks, the site was quite captivating.

The car came to a halt and papa stepped out followed by me. "Look your hair has got some snow on it." Papa noticed. Papa removed his beanie and covered my head with it. I mumbled a thanks as he made a quick phone call.

"Dear, I asked someone to escort you to the office so don't worry you'll get around. But...." Papa scratched the back of his head. This is going to be so bad, his expressions were screaming that.

"But what?"

"Cell phones aren't allowed at school." He said with a fearful expression on his face.

"What?" I asked baffled about the revelation.

"Look honey, I know it's going to be hard but it's not like you won't have it for the whole day." I huffed and handed the phone over to papa. He looked at questioningly. "What? Take it."

"Nah you don't need to leave it at home or with me. I managed to convince the principal to let you keep it at the office since you can need it in emergencies."

"Oh okay." I felt somewhat happy. Papa kissed my forehead and left.

And there I stood wondering how first day would pass by and that's when I heard an engine roar.