Chapter 2: A Misunderstanding

"How much longer 'til we're there?"

"Quit your complaining; we've been here." The boy rolled his eyes. "You just never bothered to look up from the ground, smartass."

"Took you long enough, Chenle!"

You whipped your head around towards the voice you heard. At first, you couldn't see who it belonged to, but you soon saw the shadowy figure of another boy posted up on a water tower, smoking a cigarette.

"I was just about to close up the gates." His eyes then landed on you. "Say, who's this piece of eye candy?"

Your confused look immediately turned into a look of disgust. "Who the hell do you think you're calling eye candy, dickhead?!"

"Remember your place, why don't you?" Chenle groaned. "I found her trying to steal from one of our storage spots outside the zone. Figured Tae would wanna have a little chat with her."

"Ahhh, a petty thief, huh?" The other boy sounded almost amused by his explanation. "Well, it's gonna have to wait until morning. Tae clocked out for the night."

"Ugh..." Chenle groaned again. "What should we do with her then?"

"Put her in the quarantine cell. I'll let Tae know she's down there in the morning."

"Fine. Come on, you." He ushered you through the semi-open gates.

"Hey, girl!" The boy up on the water tower called out to you, making you turn around. "Name's Jeno, nice to meet you."

Slightly confused by his introduction, you frowned at him. "Uhhh...I'm Y/N..." And then your eyes widened a little.

"Seriously, Y/N? You're telling these fools your name after they just told you they're keeping you hostage? You can't be that reckless..."

"Uhm, hello...?"

You were ripped out of your thoughts by Chenle calling you.

"Are you gonna keep standing there like a dumb-ass deer in headlights, or are you gonna follow me?"

"Cool it, you asshole!" You clenched your jaw, growing impatient with the boy's attitude. "I'm right behind you."

~The Next Morning...~
*CLINK! CLINK!*

You shot up from your position on the cold concrete floor the moment you heard the sound of an object banging against something metal. Once your eyes adjusted, you realized that another unknown boy was standing in front of your cell.

"You're finally awake, thank God." He sighed. "I've been trying to wake you for ten minutes now. How'd you sleep?"

"I'm sorry, who are you?"

The boy opened the door to your cell, crouching down to your level.

"I'm Taeyong." He smiled at you. "And from what I hear, you're the one causing me a little bit of trouble, is that right?"

"No, it's not." You refuted. "I'm not trying to cause anything; I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I don't get what's so hard to understand about that. I mean, fuck - we're in the middle of a goddamn apocalypse! If I were going to steal from you, I wouldn't have agreed to fucking come here in the first place."

"Woah, calm down there. I'm not mad..." He chuckled. "Shit like this always happens to us, but oddly enough, you were the first person that didn't retaliate when we found you. I take that as you're special...in some sorta way..."