8: Yes!

I'm so nervous.
You're probably wondering why.

Well, Thabit is on his way and it's not to see me but to see Abba. I guess Abba only heard good things because he never told me what he heard about him, he just agreed to meet my baby.

I'm so excited.
I got dressed an hour ago and now I'm in the kitchen making sure they make proper refreshments. If this meeting goes well a date will be set for him to bring his family to make it official.

Hajjo comes inside the kitchen smiling.
I was seated on one of the stools surrounding the kitchen island. She walks over and sits next to me holding my hands in hers, patting it gently.

"You look excited".
"I am. I really do love him"

She smiles wider "Who would have thought you'd be the one behaving this way so soon. At first I didn't really think the relationship would last because I know you're much more wary of good looking men"
I nod blushing "He's different".

"I really do hope so and I want you to know, as long as you two aren't officially married you can turn back"

I groan but I get where she's coming from "Nothing will happen inshallah but if it does I will".

"I'm glad".

.

Abba sat down across Thabit and I. We sat on the carpet with our head hanging low while he assess Thabit.
"You can sit" he says to him.

"It's really fine Abba, thank you"
He nods "So you and Miruna have been in a relationship, for how long?"
I raise my head and look at him, I've already told him that so why is he asking?

"Five months next week Abba".
"Hmm" he says nodding and stroking his beard.

"Are you aware that you're the first man my daughter has been in a relationship with?"
"Eh Abba, I am".

He turns and looks at me "Miruna can you please excuse us?"
Now I'm even more nervous but I nod anyway and exit the living room.

What is this man thinking?

Thabit's  POV.

Sweet talking parents has never been my strong suit but I just hope I say the right things.

"As you know as a father I had to check your background".

I nod. It's expected anyway.
"I haven't heard anything about you that I disagree with but sometimes the problem isn't known to outsiders but family. Miruna is the only person I have left, her mother left us and she's been the reason for my existence. I don't want to see her hurt or unhappy. To me she's still my baby girl. I need you to promise me that you won't hurt her or make her cry".

"I promise Abba, I love Miruna and I'd never dream of hurting her Wallahi. That's a promise to you and her as well".

He nods "Good. You seem like you're sweating a bit son" he says smiling "You don't need to, the only time you will is when you do my daughter wrong" he says smugly.

My soon to be Father in-law just successfully threatened me.

I love his style.

::

I flop on the couch and take a deep breath.
Now I'm calm.

After issuing his threat her father told me all about how much he and his wife suffered before they had her and how broken he and Miruna were when they lost her mother.

It was really a sad story, it got me thinking about my own mother whose only crime was falling in love with the wrong man.

Tahir enters the living room and smiles when he sees me "Surprise Surprise" I groan when he says it "I'd never think I would see you in Baba's house"

I sit up "Well I told you to come here and wait for me, didn't I?"
"So how did it go?"

I raise my thumb.
"I can't wait to have a little niece"

I glare at him "Go have your own child".
At that moment Baba and Lami (my stepmother) walk in.

They sit side by side.
Tahir sits across me.

"You said you wanted to talk to me about something important".
"Yes I—" I get cut off by my step brother's loud yawn as he walks in. He smiles when he sees me "Ya Thabit, I didn't know you'd be here".

"Would you please sit?" His mother tells him tapping the space next to her. He ignores her and sits next to Tahir. Although we don't get along with his mother we don't let that affect him, he's a good child.

"I'm getting married" I blurt out.

Everyone except Tahir had their mouth hanging wide open.
"What?!" Baba asks finally.

"Yes"
"When did that happen?"
"Well I'm coming from my future father in-law's house and now we're just going to set a date to make it official".

Baba looked vague.
Suddenly my two dumb brothers started clapping, like they couldn't sense the tension.

"Congratulations, I'll soon have a little niece" Tukur says excitedly.
"What's with you two and having a niece?"

"It's good for you, it really is" Lami says not particularly happy about it.
"Ma what do you mean? It's great news!" Her son says.

I get up.
"I'll be on my way now" I look at Tahir "Let's go".

"I'm escorting you out" Tukur follows.

::

Abdayn's POV.

I've been waiting in the car infront of Thabit's house.
I'm been here since Sophie told me about their engagement. I want to see them in pain, if not him then her. I want them to feel how I felt, how stupid they made me look and how they toyed with my emotions. I don't know how to yet but I will.

I finally see their car making a turn.
The car stops, Thabit comes out while Tahir opens the gate and drives in.

He walks over.
We tap "So? What's up?" He says smiling widely.

Hypocrite.

"You look happy, did you win a lottery?"
He laughs "I doubt even a lottery will make me feel this happy".

I raise my eyebrows "What is it?"
He looks at me unsure.
"Do I have to beg? Fada manah (just say it)"

"Miruna and I are officially engaged".
I hug him "Congrats brother, that's great news".

I pull back "I know I was being a bit selfish about the whole thing with her but I'm genuinely happy for you brother". I tell him.

He smiles "Thanks a lot. What where you doing here anyway?"
"Oh! Well I have news of my own".

"I'm also making things official with Sophie" I blurt out.
Then I realized the nonsense that just flew out of my mouth.

"Oh god! That's great, Miruna would be ecstatic to hear that".
"I know"

"Come on, let's go in"
"Ait"

Thinking about it marrying Sophie isn't the end of the world. I can divorce her or remarry.

Let's go with this for now.

::

::