18: Denial.

Sadiya folds her arms watching me judgmentally.
I stare at her without saying a word.

"You're not going to say anything?"
We all sat down in my living room, Fatahiyya, Maimuna, Rose, Sadiya and I.

"What? Am I supposed to say something?"
She huffs frustratedly "Not just you, all of you"

Rose tilts her head "What is it now?"
"You all are supporting Munira"

I hiss.
"Is there something you want to say?"
I roll my eyes at her "And what are we supposed to do when our friend is getting married?"

"She married her friend's long time crush"
Maimuna sits up "Technically she had a crush on him first and we all knew it. Munira just hasn't ever been the type to say what she felt. If anything we're the ones at fault".

Sadiya raises her eyebrows "And how are we at fault?"
"We put her feelings aside. We all knew she liked him first but shoved her aside when Habiba showed immense interest. Do you blame her? What do you expect us to do if not support her when she's getting married to the man already?"

"Still you should have backed Habiba up, you know her feelings and ego must be hurt by now"

We just stare at her.
"So—" Fatahiyya starts "We're supposed to live the rest of our lives backing up Habiba whether she's at fault or not because her feelings and ego are hurt? Look I know it must hurt her but she was being selfish too. We all knew how much Munira talked about Fawaz and then he comes into our school, Habiba starts crushing and that's it? We all know how much you love Farouk, would you leave Farouk for any of us?".

She stays quiet.
"And it's not like we haven't approached Habiba and comforted her about it" Rose says "but we all know how stubborn and selfish she is when it's about her".

"Our friend is getting married and we need to be there to support her, we're the only friends she's got".
Sadiya frowns.

::

Yes I'll admit I've been annoyed at Thabit but I believe that it's justified.
I just want to have my baby.
He and I talked all the time about it but now he's hesitant.

I pull the duvet and pick up my book.
He rummages through the nightstand looking for something.
He huffs in frustration and turns around looking at me "Babe, where's my socks?"

"It's there"
He huffs "I can't find them, not even one pair"

I get up and open it. There it was at the very top staring me in the eye.
"Are you serious?"
He just looks at me without saying a word.

I pack them all and hand it to him "They were right there".
"Oh"

I go back to bed.
The weather is hot so we always sleep with our aircon on, the cold affects his feet so he has to put on socks.

He sits next to me "You're still angry at me"
I say nothing.
"I know you feel I went back on my words but babe are we really ready for a baby?"

I didn't want to argue, he has made up his mind and no matter how hard I try to convince him, I doubt it would work.

"Thabit I'm tired and I want to sleep"
He looks at me sadly "Okay then".

::

The knock goes on.
I quickly put on my hijab and rush downstairs.
Opening the door and find Abdayn staring at me.

"Did I wake you up?" He asks cockily.
I nod "And Thabit isn't home".

He smiles "I know, I'll just wait for him"
"Come in then"

I leave the door open for him and make my way inside.
I huff when I enter the kitchen, thank God he came if not I wouldn't even have started making preparations for dinner and I know my darling husband (sarcastically) will be hungry.

I get a bottle of water, fruit juice and triangle shaped pineapples.
He smiles when he sees me walk in with a tray.
"You really didn't have to"

I force a smile "I wish I didn't"
He stops me before I could leave "Come on, let's talk. If you've never noticed you and I have never had a conversation"

I nod "I know but I need to get dinner ready".
"Can I help?"

I shake my head "No need"
He smiles "I insist"

Honestly I wasn't interested in arguing with him especially because it's getting really late.
"Please just don't get in my way".

"Noted".

::

Sophie's POV.

(This chapter includes a crossover from my book HIS PAIN, MY PAIN).

I burst out laughing getting weird looks from people around our table.
I decided to meet up with a caterer for my father's 78th birthday.

My siblings decided I should be the one to handle the catering.
"So how many people are you expecting?" She asks.

"Just about 50-70"
She nods jotting it down on her notepad.

"Is there a theme?"
"No but we'd like to keep the sweets away, putting their age in mind"

"Is there anything specific you want on the menu?"
"I really love your samosas, meat packs and meat pies so I want lots of it"

My sister actually introduced her to me. Apparently she just had a baby and I'd be her first customer after giving birth. They went to the same school but because of reasons still unknown to people she changed schools and got married to a relative.

I smile "How's Meemah?"
Aminah smiles "She's doing just fine"

"I trust your judgement with everything, I want you to do what you think is best".
She nods and smiles "Then I'll get to it".

"Should we order something?"
She smiles "I need to get some stuff and make orders for some ingredients".

I nod "Okay then, thank you very much".
"You're welcome" she smiles "I'll send you the menu when I review it".

I nod.
"Bye"
"Bye bye".

She's nice but—
Thabit?

There he was seated in a corner with his laptop on a table as he typed absentmindedly.

I couldn't help but feel happy to see him, no happy is an understatement. I was ecstatic to see him.

....