2 𝑑𝑒𝑎𝑟 ℎ𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑡, 𝑑𝑜𝑛'𝑡 𝑟𝑢𝑛 𝑓𝑟𝑜𝑚 𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔𝑠 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑔𝑖𝑣𝑒 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑎 𝑝𝑢𝑙𝑠𝑒

𝑑𝑒𝑎𝑟 ℎ𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑡, 𝑑𝑜𝑛'𝑡 𝑟𝑢𝑛 𝑓𝑟𝑜𝑚
𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔𝑠 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑔𝑖𝑣𝑒 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑎 𝑝𝑢𝑙𝑠𝑒

spring of '19

          It felt like the noises around Aurora were caving in on her. Her ears were pulsing from the pounding in her head, and the fluorescent lights in the school made her eyes ache with every blink. She took the vow of sobriety after experiencing her first hangover.

          Ginny was beside her while she rubbed her temples, explaining a problem she was having with her Statistics class. "Ms. Leann said this will be our final grade on the Section 11 test, and she won't give me another chance to retake it. You were studying last night, right?"

          She never heard her the first time and was focused on the orange juice on front of her. It was making a puddle from the condensation in the heat outside. It was too hot to eat lunch, and even if it wasn't, she did not think she could stomach anything. "Aurora?" Ginny called out again, annoyed, and flicked her shoulder.

          Rory dropped her hands on the table and hummed in response. "Oh yeah. I was studying." She nodded and screwed the lid off, taking a slow sip. It was lukewarm now. Nothing was worse than warm orange juice.

          Her friend laughed and tapped her mechanical pencil against her notebook. Her blonde hair was shining in the sun, and she envied it. "You're lying. I know you were at a Kook party. On a Sunday." She clucked her tongue and shook her head in fake disappointment. "I really thought I knew you."

          "Oh. How did you know?" She asked with a small frown while playing with the blue lid. She was curious— hopefully she didn't come over last night. "I would have told you, but I really can't remember much from last night."

          Ginny shut her notebook, and tucked it in her backpack. "Well, everyone is talking about it. You seriously don't remember being in a bathroom with Rafe fucking Cameron? It's all I've heard this morning."

          Rory blinked slowly and then followed it with a groan. Her head was aching from the thought. "Nothing happened. I was really drunk, and he—"

          "Drunk?!" Ginny yelped and instantly regretted it when people turned to look. She squeezed her eyes shut and pretended like the girl did not just yell that. "Drunk?" She heard her repeat in a whisper. "You have never drank a single drop in your life. What changed that? I've been trying forever at every damn party I've took you to."

She sighed and offered her a long look, tucking a curly strand of hair behind her ear. "Dad showed back up." Ginny muttered an understanding "oh". "So it just happened. I wasn't thinking at the time, but I can promise it won't happen again."

          "Well, what happened with Rafe?" She grabbed her hands with a smile showing off her teeth. "Spill it." There was a wicked look in her eyes.

          Rory knew whatever she was going to say would sound like a complete lie. No one knew or Rafe Cameron as being a decent person— his whole personality revolved around him throwing or going to parties and being a jerk to everyone, especially if he thought you were any less than him. If you were poor, he hates you for not having the things he did. If you did not believe the way he did, he looked down on you for being different than him. That's what she heard anyway.

          "Like I was saying— before you interrupted." Rory muttered and took her hands back, shooting her a pointed look. The girl shrugged with no shame. "I was completely out of it, and I only had like three of what was in the red cups. But all he did was get me some water, help me to the bathroom, watch over me while I threw up, and then offered to take me home." She grimaced at the throwing up part.