12 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟𝑦 𝑠𝑖𝑛𝑔𝑙𝑒 𝑜𝑛𝑒 𝑜𝑓 𝑢𝑠, 𝑖𝑠 𝑗𝑢𝑠𝑡 𝑑𝑟𝑢𝑛𝑘 𝑜𝑛 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑖𝑑𝑒𝑎 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑏𝑒𝑡𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑒𝑥𝑖𝑠𝑡𝑠

𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟𝑦 𝑠𝑖𝑛𝑔𝑙𝑒 𝑜𝑛𝑒 𝑜𝑓 𝑢𝑠, 𝑖𝑠 𝑗𝑢𝑠𝑡
𝑑𝑟𝑢𝑛𝑘 𝑜𝑛 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑖𝑑𝑒𝑎 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑏𝑒𝑡𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑒𝑥𝑖𝑠𝑡𝑠

summer of '19

Rory had stayed the night at Rafe's and left that following morning. Lily bad been kind enough to pick her up early, taking her to her house. Now it had been two weeks, and she had not heard from him since that day. He had talked to her more, hours away.

          Today, she decided to go back home instead of staying at Lily's. There was supposed to be a party tonight, she had been invited and everything from some people at the Wreck. She was in the middle of deciding to go, and she knew she would have Lily. She had already said she was going. But more than likely Rafe would be there, and she felt like their friendship was awkward at the moment. All because she was holding what she found out from Sarah against him.

          But then again, he had not cared that she disappeared on him. "I'll see you at the party later if you decide to go. I'll send you the address." Lily said, pulling her car in behind her dad's truck. She smiled at her and nodded. "Okay. I'll see you later." And then she was walking inside the house.

          It was quiet and dark, but it smelled terrible. Was that cigarette smoke? She never knew her dad even smoked. She wrinkled her nose in disgust and went up the stairs, not wanting to see what mess the house was in.

          Rory got closer to her bedroom door, tightening the strap of the bag of clothes on her shoulder. Her door was wide open, and when she peered inside reluctantly, she saw what her dad had done to her room. Berthing was knocked off her shelves and dresser, even the nightstand. Her lamp was thrown across the room, and the pictures that had been on her wall were off, on many pieces on the floor.

She swallowed, seeing that her bed had went untouched, but all the clothes that had been in her dresser and closet were all over the floor. One of the drawers were hanging out, while the other were wide open.

This had been the first time he had went this far to upset her. He usually never touched her stuff. She sighed, not having the energy to cry or care— she had done that enough. But she did decide that she would be going to no party because she had too much to do, and clean.

           Rory piled all her clothes up on the bed first, then picked all the things up that were on the floor to place them where they were. She soon got tired of it, laying down on the spot on her bed where there were no clothes. It was no time before she fell asleep looking at her phone.

          She woke up to a sound downstairs, completely forgetting that her dad was home. She shut her door, looking at the time to see that it was eight pm. She finished putting her clothes up and went to take a shower, but heard voices downstairs. She quietly walked out into the hall and down the stairs. The voices were gone now, but she could hear other noises from the living room.

          She walked to the entry way, peaking around it to see inside it. She smacked a hand over her mouth at what she saw— a naked woman on top of her dad. She recognized that the sounds she was hearing were grunts now, quickly running up the stairs. She did not care if they heard her, he was having sex in the living room. An open area in the middle of their house.

          Rory slammed her door shut and ran into the bathroom, throwing up in the toilet. Was that what he's been doing the entire time she had been gone? She tried not to think about it, deciding that she was going to the party. It was somewhere to go that wasn't her house.