10 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟𝑦 𝑠𝑚𝑖𝑙𝑒 ℎ𝑖𝑑𝑒𝑠 𝑎 𝑠𝑡𝑜𝑟𝑦

𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟𝑦 𝑠𝑚𝑖𝑙𝑒
ℎ𝑖𝑑𝑒𝑠 𝑎 𝑠𝑡𝑜𝑟𝑦

summer of '19

Rory stared up at the ceiling, the boy's head pressed against her chest. It was the second time he had got in this position— his arm slung over her waist. She woke up over an hour ago, and it was still dark outside. She was waiting for when Rafe's alarm was going to go off, which should have been soon. So instead of moving him off her, she laid on her back and laid comfortably under him. It was hot, but the feeling of him pressed up against her felt better somehow.

He jerked a little when the familiar sound of the alarm went off, and it took him a minute to reach over with the hand not around her to reach for his phone and look at it. It read six in the morning. He must have wanted to get there before his dad woke up. "Rory." He grumbled and stretched his arm out over her.

She hummed at him in question and watched him as he tilted his head up at her. His eyes narrowed at her. "Have you been awake this whole time?" He asked and sat up, running a hand through his messy hair. He leaned over the bed and grabbed his shirt of the floor, making his back muscles and shoulders flex. "No, just for an hour." She said and stood up, putting on a pair of dirty converse.

Rafe stood up behind her, leaning beside her to grab his shoes and put them on. After that, he slipped his shirt on over his head and yawned loudly. "Oh." He mumbled and scratched the back of his neck while she combed her fingers through her hair. Rory fretted that she looked like a mess in front of him, even more so than yesterday when he came over. He walked out of her room, quietly making his way down the stairs as she followed.

It was silent between the two of them as they got into the jeep, situating. She cranked the air conditioning after starting the car and buckling up. "Will your dad be awake when we get there?" She asked and backed out, blinking a few times. Her eyes felt dry and she felt exhausted. There was a headache forming, and she needed to go back home after taking him there and sleep until the next day.

He sighed. "I hope not. He usually isn't up this early. I'm sorry I got you up so early to take me home. I feel like a dick." He glanced over at her, studying her reaction. She shook her head. "I don't care. I couldn't sleep anyway." And then it was silent again, aside from the faint sound of music playing from the speakers.

She slowed to a stop in his driveway, looking around to see if any lights were on. It was pitch black inside, so she assumed everyone was asleep in their rooms. Rafe swallowed, his jaw tight. "Well, I'll see you in few weeks." He murmured and reached out toward her, his hand wrapping around the side of her neck. He watched his thumb rub over her skin, looking lost in thought. She stared at him, not breathing. "Yeah. Text me or something." She said so softly that it was a whisper.

His hand slid up to rest on her cheek and he leaned toward, leveling his eyes with hers. They were so blue and bright, and held so many secrets. "Don't replace me." He winked, playful but serious. And then he was getting out of the jeep, walking toward the house. Rory watched with wide eyes when Ward Cameron walked out, screaming at him. His hands were raising in the air and his finger was in his face.

Her breath caught when Ward slapped him across the face. Rafe looked behind him where she sat in the jeep, holding his cheek. He looked angry, watching her watch him. He never wanted her to see how he was, he did not want to relate to her. He wanted to be there for her, but now they were two friends, once strangers, that could only understand each other.