Ch-16 Contract Extended, ✒️

Taehyung's pov

HE WAS SPEE€HLESS. HIS LIPS moved, yet no words came out. Then he did the strangest thing.

He laughed. Huge, loud peals of laughter. He clapped his hand over his mouth, but it didn't do anything to stem the flow of chortles. Tears ran down his cheeks, and still he laughed.

I leaned back, crossing my arms. "I don't find this a laughing matter, Mr. Jeon."

I thought hearing me refer to him formally would snap him out of his hysteria because that was what it had to be. The only effect it seemed to have on him, though, was he laughed harder.

I slammed my hand on the granite. "Jungkook!"

I shoved off the chair and strode toward him, not certain what I would do when I got there. Shake him? Slap him? I grabbed his arms, and without another thought, crashed my mouth to his, effectively silencing his lunacy.

With a groan, I jerked back, my chest heaving. "Are you finished?" I growled.

He gazed up at me, finally silent, then nodded.

"At the risk of starting you off again, Jungkook, will you marry me?"

"No."

I shook him slightly. "You said you would if we had to."

With a sigh, he surprised me again. He cupped my cheeks, his fingers stroking my skin. "Has anyone ever told you how impetuous you are, my darling?"

"Why are you saying no?"

"Taehyung, think about it. Think it through. If your instinct is right, and appa is suspicious and you marry me right now, it will make him more so, not less."

I stared into his brown doe eyes, his words sinking into my brain. I stepped back, his hands dropping from my face as I realized he was right.

"Well, fuck."

"I'm right, you know I am."

I hated to admit it, but he definitely had a point. "Yes, you are."

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" he teased.

"Don't push your luck."

He grinned, and it occurred to me, he was no longer frightened of me.

I wasn't sure if it was a good thing or not.

"We are going to readdress this issue, Jungkook."

He pushed off the counter, skirting around me. "Then we'll talk about it later." he lifted the magazines, tucking them under his arm. "I have somethings to read. I'm going to get some ideas for my room."

"While you're at it, call the building supervisor Something is wrong with my bedroom door."

He hesitated, eyes wide. "Oh?"

I reached over for an apple from the fruit bowl, rubbing it absently on my shirt. "I never shut it tight, but it's wide open when I get up in the morning. I don't know what's wrong with it. Get it fixed."

"Oh, I, ah . . ."

I frowned. He was all red-not just his usual pink-cheeked flush either. His cheek and ears were almost the dark shade of red.

"What?"

"Your door isn't broken," he burst out, speaking fast.

"How do you know?"

"Because I open it."

It was my turn to be shocked. "Why would you do that?"

"It's, ah, quiet here."