1. that was a sign..should've noticed

Riki always regrets sleeping late.

He hates the faint headache that appears with him lifting his sore limbs off of his bed. He's always grumpy and a little more than irritable, especially if he has to wake up early on that day.

He regrets it but still continues to do it. It's a cycle repeated at least 6 times a week.

Stay up, sleep late, wake up early, hate life for a few hours then repeat.

However, it was different on a particular Tuesday morning.

Riki stayed up, he slept late but he also woke up late.

That was the start of a bad day, and it wasn't just the time, it was the impact of a heavy shoe that startled him awake..

"Oi!", he heard, "wake up!"

"Nee-chan!", he whined, "Are you trying to kill me! My head hurts worse now!"

"Oh, is that so", she replied, "Maybe if you woke up on time then your head would be fine. Get up before mama finds you like this!"

Riki groaned as she left. He sluggishly reached for his phone and wondered why she was waking him up before his alarm rang.

"Why me?", he grumbled to himself, one hand rubbing the throbbing spot on his head, Konon has great aim and the other hand turning on his phone, "Why is she even mad, it's still earl-"

He was late. Very late.

Suddenly a rush of adrenaline coursed through his body and he was scrambling for the bathroom.

It was only his third week at his new school, in the middle of the term and already he was late.

That was only the beginning.

。。。

Riki hates to wait in line, especially when it's in the school's cafeteria.

There's something extra annoying about being one of the taller people in a line.

You don't just get to stand out...literally, you get to see how far away you actually are from getting your food.

From the first day he experienced what it meant to be in a large school at lunch time, having previously learnt in a private micro-school, he decided to get to the cafeteria early but once his flow was broken from the beginning and he had to go suffer for what felt like hours due to his tardiness, he had to wait, for a long time.

That wasn't the cherry top though.

The cherry on top was when he tried to walk out of the cafeteria without tripping on himself while holding his tray.

It was already a struggle walking around with his long hair that covered his eyes but now, without any hands to spare, he couldn't tuck it behind his ears and he couldn't see the person in front of him.

Now that was the cherry on top, especially after he realised that the person he spilt strawberry yoghurt on wasn't considered a nobody like himself, it was Yang Jungwon and he was furious.

"Eh! su-sumimasen", he spluttered out and bowed a couple of times before he realised his mistake, "I mean mianheyo! I apologise"

The shorter male looked at his shirt, covered in light pink and the tall boy who continued to apologise.

Jungwon was livid, he would've yelled and attracted more attention than there already was, a few people had already noticed and were looking at the same boy.

They knew he was going to burst.

Oh, I'm going to ruin your life, he thought, ready to yell but he stopped himself when he took a closer look at the boy.

Cute.

"It's fine", he sighed out, blowing away a stray strand of hair from eye, his arms slightly lifted up. He dropped his predatorial pose and miserably looked at his shirt.

"I-i'll clean it up!", the boy seemed to panic even more when he saw how well Jungwon was taking it.

"No no, don't worry, I'll do it myself", and by do it myself he meant, "Sunoo!"

"Yes!", the boy he called appeared, snapping out of his shocked state. He was the most confused at Jungwon's reaction.

"Give me a shirt to wear"

"I don't think I have on-"

"Look for one, you always have pieces of clothing in your bag, there should be something to fix this"

"Alright", the other said before he quickly ran out the cafeteria.

Now Riki was left with Jungwon who seemed to stare at him for a while. He coughed uncomfortably at his gaze and shifted his weight between his legs.

"Come on", Jungwon suddenly said, "we're following Sunoo, his locker is close by"

Riki was stuck, stunned and confused. Had he asked him to go-

"Why are you just standing there? Come on"

"O-okay but the mess", he pointed to the floor that had his spilt food.

"Leave it, someone'll eventually clean it up"

"But-"

"I don't care and neither should you", he dismissed and began to walk away, leaving him in a dilemma.

Fuck.

。。。

"Umm, I couldn't find a shirt exactly", Sunoo said as he handed Jungwon a yellow cropped hoodie.

"Eh, it'll do", Jungwon said, "I'll be right back"

"Riki are you okay!", Sunoo said as he swept away the younger's hair from his eyes, causing a slight tint in the taller's cheeks. This had become a little habit ever since they met.

"I like to see your eyes", Sunoo had blurted out once when he had asked him why he continued to do that.

Riki always complained about his hair being too long but also hated the idea of cutting it.

"I'm fine hyung, but is Jungwon okay"

"Honestly, I don't know, he doesn't usually behave so...leniently", he gestured awkwardly at nothing in particular.

"Maybe he's having a good day?"

"No, before this he was complaining about something"

"Maybe it's because he knows that we're friends?"

"I doubt, he doesn't even kno-"

"I'm back! How do I look?!", the two quickly turned their heads to the source of the voice and Jungwon certainly looked better than good.

•••

22:31/10:31 p.m.

» Every story needs a little context.

» Approached it differently by using the 'observer' role

» I've dropped enough clues in this chapter, hope you like it.

» I also just didn't want to get straight into the drama because trust me, there's a lot of it 😬