9. just..please promise me

Jungwon felt odd as he trudged down the Kim's staircase barefoot. He felt groggy from having just woken up but he wondered why he felt so off. His vision was skewed, perhaps he was still tired but he chose to ignore it as he made it into the kitchen to find Sunoo's mother sat by the breakfast bar, a cup of coffee in hand, staring into space.

"Morning", he mumbled, she seemed out of it, she always was honestly but he waited a couple of seconds too long before she turned to him and greeted him with a smile.

"Good morning Jungwon, how did you sleep?"

"I slept alright, thank you for letting me stay over", she dismissed him with a playful wave of a hand.

"It's really okay, you practically live here. Is Sunoo still asleep?", she asked. Jungwon's eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Not sure, he was up all night, must've tired out early this morning"

"Could you check for me? He has an appointment in an hour so he needs to get ready", Jungwon nodded before he made his way back up to Sunoo's room.

There was an eery silence that sent shivers down his spine as he opened the door. It creaked loudly as he scanned the room until his eyes drifted to the figure on the bed.

He closed the door behind him and climbed onto the bed to get a better look at his friends sleeping form.

Even in his sleep he looked pretty. Jungwon smiled and leaned forward so he could shake him awake.

"Sunoo?", He called and he was met without a response. He shook him lightly and sighed when he didn't budge. It was always difficult to wake him up once his body finally shut down from all the exhaustion.

"Sunoo, get up, your mum's waiting for you", he shook him a little harder but still there was no response. Jungwon paused, usually he'd get a little whine or a shove by then.

"Sunoo come on", he lay there motionless. Anxiety rose in his body and he didn't know why his heart beat picked up.

"Sunoo, wake up, it's not funny", Jungwon stopped for a second to collect himself before he brought a shaky hand to his neck. Gently, he pressed two fingers to the warm skin and panicked when he felt no pulse.

He lifted his wrist and felt nothing before he pressed his palm to his chest and felt no sign of a heart beat

"Sunoo, stop it, get the fuck up", he screamed. He shook his body violently and still the body was motionless.

"Sunoo! Help!"...

° ° °

Jungwon woke up with a gasp. His vision was blurry and he realised he'd been dreaming. His head spun and his heart beat erratically. His eyes searched the room, it was dark and so he felt around until his hand came into contact with a bare limb. He retracted his hand.

"Wonie?", A deep voice called to him and soon he heard rustling before the room was illuminated. He looked at a messy haired, sleepy Jay who looked back at him in concern.

"Gosh, you're shaking like a leaf", the older said as he moved the sheets around to pull him close, "you okay"

Jungwon was confused. It was a dream but why did it feel so real.

"Whoa baby, don't cry", and Jungwon looked at him in surprise, he was crying?, "Was it a bad dream?", Jungwon was at a loss of words so he simply nodded his head.

"Come here", he said, even though he was already sat on his lap. He brought his head to his chest and silently rocked him.

Jungwon finally let himself relax but that gnawing feeling of unease was still stuck in his body.

"I need to go see him", he said, his voice coming out hoarse.

"Who?"

"Sunoo, i feel like something's wrong"

"He's okay Wonie, remember we called Sunghoon before we went to bed and he said he was asleep"

"That's the problem, he's asleep", he got up abruptly, "if he's a sleep for too long it means he won't be breathing and if he's not breathing I don't know what I'll do with myself", he stressed

"Wait wait, wonie slow down", Jay said as he watched Jungwon get off the bed to pick up his things up from the floor, "where are you going"

"To Sunoo, I need to see for myself that he's okay"

"Baby, it's three a.m."

"I don't care"

"Fine, let me take you there"

° ° °

Sunoo's rest was disturbed. He hadn't slept much after he woke up the first time. He sighed as he heard a creak come from the door. He just hoped it wasn't Park Sunghoon.

Jungwon gasped as Sunoo slowly opened his eyes.

"You're awake", Jungwon whispered as he hesitantly moved towards him. He stood at the foot of the hospital bed before he took another step to take Sunoo's hand into his own, "You're..okay"

"Yeah, of course, what-", Sunoo confusion turned to surprise as Jungwon leaned in to peck his lips. He was left speechless and as if on instinct he surveyed the room for another sign of life.

There was no one...No one to see.

Sunoo looked back at the younger and as soon as he did, Jungwon gave him a pained smile before he gracelessly climbed onto the bed. He made himself comfortable and wrapped his hands around Sunoo's waist, head rested on his chest.

"Remember the time you made me promise", his voice seemed to go quieter. Sunoo searched his memories.

° ° °

"Jungwon, promise me something"

"What?"

"Promise that no matter where you go or who you'll be with, you won't leave me", Sunoo felt rather stupid but he needed assurance. They were growing up and he dreaded the thought of never being with Jungwon, in whatever way. He recalled all the sad stories he heard of best friends drifting apart, losing contact and parting ways forever. He never wanted that to happen to them. He could let that happen.

"What?", Jungwon chuckled, he thought Sunoo sounded ridiculous, "Where's this coming from?"

"Jungwon!", Sunoo's was surprised at how croaky his own voice sounded, he felt his eyes well up with tears. Jungwon's smile dropped and a look of worry washed over him. Sunoo gulped the lump in his throat, "Just..please promise me"

"Okay, I promise", there was no hesitation, "but..you have to promise me the same thing..we'll be together forever"

° ° °

"Yeah, I remember"

"I thought you were being paranoid but I feel like we're changing even more than we were back then", Sunoo could beg to differ, he hadn't changed much, he felt Jungwon was the one who'd changed, but he let the younger speak, "I'm scared...do you still promise?", Jungwon lifted his body so he'd look at Sunoo better.

"Of course I promise, forever, okay"

"Forever", and once again Jungwon caught him off guard with another kiss. It hurt, Sunoo's heart, it hurt so much but he let him take and take, he'd always let him no matter how much he was in pain. He'd do anything for him.

Jungwon rested his head back on his chest and they lay in silence for a long time until there was a knock on the door and an exhausted Jay walked in. Jungwon was already asleep by then.

Sunoo tensed as the older walked towards them but relaxed as Jay gave him a little smile.

"Sunoo"

"Hyung"

"It's nice to see you"