Chapter 1

"Thank you! Come back again!" Smiled Y/N as the customer walked out with a large bouquet of dried flowers. A popular assortment during winter. The shop inside was warm and cozy compared to the snow and dim lanterns outside. Winter had finally come to the countryside. And lucky for Y/N it was getting dark meaning she'd get to pack up soon.

  A few ravens cawed outside of the small shop. Playing in the sky and diving down at each other. "I wonder how they stay warm?" She wondered as a new customer walked in. They were a small boy with Black hair and bright green eyes.

  "Hi Y/N! My mommy wanted me to give you these! They're from our home." The little customer handed her a large bag with all sorts of goodies inside. Bread, seeds, sake, even a new knife for meat carving. "Ah, your father's a blacksmith right? Did he make this?" The little boy nodded as Y/N put the items behind the counter.

  "Thank you so much. Here, let me get you something." She went through two curtains that guarded the small room behind the counter which was filled to the brim with all sorts of dried flowers, herbs, veggies, but she went straight for the back, returning with a large jar of some sort of purple and white flower. "These are wisteria. I hear if you water them down and crush them you can use them to paint and dye things. Hope you enjoy it."

  The small customer smiled, bowing his head before running off allowing Y/N to see the sun had just set.

"Ah! I'm gonna be late!" She quickly grabbed the bag and hopped over the counter, his boots getting stuck in the snow despite it being just an inch or so deep. But still, she continued on. Running home to her house nestled in-between a small clearing in the forest. Upon arriving she could see smoke rising from the chimney as well as smell the scent of sweet potatoes and fish.

  She quickly walked up and entered the home to see her father working the fire and cooking their dinner.
  "There's my little sprout!" He carefully got up and made her way over, hugging her tight.
  "How are you Y/N?" She sat down with him close to the fire, handing him the bag.

  "One of our customer's parents gave this to us. There are all sorts of things in here." She pulled out the bottle of sake and the loaf of bread as well as the knife. Her father's eyes widened.
  "Y/N, put that down! You'll hurt yourself!" He gently reached for it, falling just an inch short as Y/N leaned back.
  "I'm not a child anymore! I'll be fine!" Her father sighed and continued to help the fire cook. The two shared a nice moment as they got ready to eat.

---

  "Your godfather sent me a letter today." Y/N froze.
  "Mister Ubuyashiki?" Her father nodded, reaching for another scoop of sweet potatoes.
  "Sadly he won't be able to come this year. His work had gotten too busy."

"When is he ever here?" Her tone changed to an angry one causing them both to stop eating.
  "You meet him once in some sort of battle, you make him my godfather, always invite him over to eat and yet he never comes? He sure doesn't sound like somebody you could rely on-"

  "YOU WILL RESPECT YOUR GODFATHER Y/N! I did not raise an ungrateful brat! I raised a kind young girl who respected everyone!"
  They glared daggers at each other. Both were ready to shout again but kept themselves quiet until Y/N got up, scooping any last remains of her food into the fire.

  "Y/N- wait!" But it was too late, the young girl had already run out of the doors and into the woods, getting as far away from the argument as possible.
  She must've passed a hundred trees after a few seconds but still continued until she got to the side of the forest that overlooked the road to the other towns. A faint glow of lights shone in the distance.

  "...AHH!" She screamed. Not with anger or rage but just getting her feelings out. The girl needed some rest even if she was just inside of a cozy little flower shop all day.

  "Dad's right. Mr Ubuyashiki is just as busy as anybody else." Y/N looked up as snow fell down. For a while it was peaceful, the moon was full and bright outside and bounced off of her hair almost making her glow. And the sound of the wind was beautiful as well. It was sweet and soft and...and...was that screaming?

  Perhaps it was just the wind. It had to be, right? But her gut told her to go back. So, she picked herself up and continued back home. Running as fast as she could. Her hair whipped and cutting into her face. Her eyes water large tears and make her vision blurry.
  Her lungs carried her, however, farther and further into the woods. Eventually, she could smell smoke. Not of the chimney this time but of fire. Raw and untamed. Had her food knocked the cooking pot over?

  Finally, she stepped out of the wood to the scene of horror.
  "Dad?" Snow was stained red and crimson with a few pieces of wood and stone scattered around. An explosion? That couldn't be it.

  She went further into the scene but stopped halfway. It was warmer behind her, and she was right. Turning around, her village was nothing but a strip of flame. Tall and pure red. Terrifying. She could see her flower shop from where she was. It was almost caught on fire so she booked it down the hill and into the shop.

  By the time she was there, the roof had begun to burn. But she went inside. Heading to the back and grabbed an emergency bag that held supplies in case something like this had ever happened. She also grabbed a jar of herbs that could clear her nose of smoke. However, it was so smoky inside that she could only hope she grabbed the right color.

  Finally, she ran back up to her home. Bag on her back and fear in her heart she searched through the wreckage of her home. The cooking pot had been knocked away and...IS THAT A FUCKING HAND?

  Panic finally filled her mind. She pushed off pillars of wood and mats made of bamboo searching for any signs of life. Moving and moving getting splinters as she did and large scrapes on her hands. She continued, going further and burning herself from the fires which were finally dying down.
  "DAD!" She screamed, looking for a body. But right as she noticed what looked like a head of hair, something rushed from behind her.

  "Gha!" It lunged at her, pouncing onto her back and biting into the bag she wore causing it to fall open and pushing Y/N into the wreckage. A face full of splinters pillowing her fall.
  "Master will be please once I bring him your head! Perhaps I'll finally be made into a lower moon?" The thing snarled, its eyes glowing in the now dim firelight. They looked like spikes with multiple pupils.
  "Stop!" She screamed. But it was too late. The creature went to bite her legs only to get kicked back as Y/N reached for a weapon only to see the jar of herbs. She reached for it and threw it, shattering onto the monster's head.

  While there was glass and the large cork on the top, out from the jar fell purple wisteria flowers. Some just blossoming, others mid-life. Seeing this the monster jumped away, cowering.
  "Ahhh!" Y/N grabbed on the flowers and threw them at whatever it was causing it to run off.
  "What in the unholy fuck?" She didn't know what else to do. Clearly whatever attacked her was afraid of these flowers so she tucked one in behind her ear.
  "I..gotta get help." The young girl did her best to stand up only to fall back down, just barely missing the glass. She was exhausted from running and the smoke in her lungs didn't help. She was going to die here.

  She rolled over onto her back to look up at the sky. The clouds had parted just enough so that she could see the stars. A pretty sight for a dead girl.
  "Dad...I'm sorry." She took one final breath, and slowly, everything went dark. Everything around her started to fade. But before she could loose consciousness she could head several footsteps run-up to her followed by a scream from that monster. However, by the time her saviors had made their way over. She had passed out.