seven // 1996

song list

1996 - the wombats

satelitte - all time low

woman - the 1975

pressure - milk and bone

dollhouse - melanie martinez

wrecking ball - christina grimmie (cover)

//1996 //

by the wombats

released november 2011

written by matthew murphy, dan haggis, tord overland knudsen, and arabella

i’m not cut out for the modern life

silence was normal between the pair. they found it to be peaceful. where some would find it awkward and full of tension the two thought it was comforting. neither one of them wanted to be alone, but they knew they didn’t want the annoying chatter of another person. together, they could get whatever they needed to be done but not have to worry about the overbearing thought of being left alone forever. there was a sense of closure hearing the other person’s heartbeat and the steady flow of their breathing as they listened to their pens guide across their respected books and the odd sound of chords being strummed against harry’s guitars.

“what do you think about friendship?” harry hummed.

“it’s more important than any love you could ever experience. friends fight, they do, just like any other relationship. but i just find that you are the person your friends make you to be.”

he nods. “interesting.”

harry loved listening to her talk, and voice her opinions on different topics. she was like a goddess to him, and he was mesmerized by every word.

“friendship is ugly though, it changes you… better or for worse.”

“how so?”

“let me tell you.”

-

“shh, shh stop laughing they’ll hear you!” he hushed her while clutching the speaker of the phone, afraid they might hear her and blow the whole plan. the plan seemed to disintegrate in his mind though when he looked at her laughing on the floor, and her smile brought light into his life.

“yes, hello sir, this is the city calling. we’re doing an inspection if you could just answer a few questions for us. yes, is your refridgerator running?”

“um, yes i believe so, is there something wrong with the power.”

“no, but if your refrigerator is running you might want to catch it!” he spoke into the phone just in time to get out a fit of giggles. they were curled up on the floor dying to catch their breath as the caller cursed them for wasting his time. it was an awful joke, but it was their joke and it kept them young. though war was breaking out all around them, their concern was on prank calls.

they continued growing from the small little children who used to make prank calls for fun up till their first party. and he kissed her on the cheek to try and impress his friends because that’s what you did in the modern itch. they weren’t scared to fit in, but then again she never was. she stood out to be different and she was okay with that even with society pushing on her to be normal. that’s why he liked her.

but as society pushed her it pushed her away from him and their kissing sessions started to wither and he could feel her eyes watching the tv set instead of him.  each day he tried to get through to her it only felt as though the more he gave the less he got. it was hard to get her back from those teenage kicks.