Chapter 10: Fun?

I must be recovered because the leap through Kybast's lab door doesn't hurt. "Hello, is your friend with you?" he asks as soon as I enter.

That proves he's anxious. Kyrbast has never left an experiment unattended to greet me.

"Yep, he's right here. You can finish what you're doing. We can wait. It's not like Carfron's going anywhere."

"What is this?" Carfron asks as he taps on a jar with little bugs flying around. The bugs leave where he tapped, but Kyrbast doesn't hear anything. I look away and ignore him. I don't want to know why that's possible. Hopefully, he'll take the hint and stop talking.

"So, has he said why he's here?" Kyrbast says, once his experiment is completed and put away.

"No, he just wants me to fly," I answer.

"Why?"

"You need to fly," Carfron has not taken the hint.

"He doesn't say."

"Did you ask him?"

"Of course, I did. I don't want to talk to him, or about him anymore. I need a distraction. Can you show me some magic that isn't training? Just something fun or stupid."

"Sure," Kyrbast says, ambling about the room, thinking out loud. "Something fun and stupid. Hmmm, you know, it's more difficult than I thought. I could make something dance, or disappear, or appear, but you're awfully jaded."

"Hey! No, I'm not."

He swooshes his wand. The book and the beaker on the table next to me start waltzing.

"Okay, maybe I'm a touch jaded. But seriously, how could I enjoy that without music."

"Music," Kyrbast says excitedly. "We can make some music."

"I'm not musical."

"That's the magic part," Kyrbast says with a smirk. "I can conjure something for you, or you can pick something here, and I can add the music to it."

I glance around the room. "I can pick anything?"

"Yes, anything."

Carfron points to one of the creatures in the jars. That would be interesting but disgusting, so I take a pass.

"I can't think of anything that's fun. I can't decide if I want a percussion instrument or a brass one. All I see are books, bowls, and beakers."

Carfron points to the critters again. I shake my head.

"I'll make you one," Kyrbast says.

The caldron next to the fireplace slides over to us with a heavy scratching sound that's gouging the floor. When it settles in front of him, he shouts, "Lid." The lid to the cauldron flies over so fast I'm surprised no one was injured. It lands on the pot with a loud crash.

He looks down and says, "You have to be softer." The caldron and lid deflate like a balloon.

"What else do we need?" he asks.

"I have no idea. What are you making?"

"Test tubes!" he shouts, and about forty of them fly through the air. We duck for cover until they halt in front of us. "I only require five." The requested few remain in the air while the unnecessary ones crash to the floor, sending shards everywhere.

"Glass? They can't be glass." He's definitely annoyed when he sends the shards to the corner of the room.

"Why not?" I ask.