Chapter 24: The Elf on the Wall

I suck in the fresh air while tiny rocks and dirt sting my face, making a coughing fit follow. I rub the thin layer of grim from my eyes and take a deep breath. How long was I not breathing? My fingers are tingling, and I can't feel my feet. I give Dathid a hard shake.

"Please don't be dead," I say as I wipe the dirt from his nose and eyes.

He groans, and my heart starts beating again. A few seconds later, his eyes open. He sits up, freeing my numb legs. I saved us both. How'd I do that?

"What happened?" He looks disoriented.

"You fainted," I say with a smile.

He looks up at the sky. Then at the crater. "How'd you do that?"

"I'm good." I shouldn't smile, but I can't help it.

"Can you walk?"

"Yes, can you?"

He doesn't look too sure, but he gets his legs under him and stands with a groan and a stretch. "Can you get this plate off of me?" he asks, turning around so I can access his badly dented back armor. It's a silver plate with slots in the side for his wings to extend through. It's so severely damaged I'm not sure if the delicate wings under it survived.

I wobble when I stand, but my tingly calves hold. I put my wand and sword away, wrap my fingers around the backplate, and struggle with the bent latch. My fingers ache where the hooks dig in. 

I want to use one of Dathid's favorite curses when the fastener finally pops and the armor doesn't fall. My arms are shaking from digging us out, and now I have to wrestle this stupid mangled plate from his back. I'm so tired, but I can tell by his lack of breathing and soft grunts that this is worse for him. As a last resort, I put my foot on the back of his leg and use my body weight to pull. Faeries are so strong he barely moves, but I hit the ground when the plate finally gives way.

Dathid helps me up and grabs the piece from my hands. He's not looking at it; more like he's looking through it. He has an air of concentration in his eye, and his mouth is a thin, grim line. With a grunt, his wings slowly extend. He flutters them cautiously then increases the pace until they're barely visible. He lifts himself off the ground and peers over the lip of the crater.

He lands with a sigh. "That's a relief. I don't know how many more times I can break them and have them still want to work for me."

"How's your arm?" I ask.

"Fine. Now listen to me." Happy-to-be-alive Dathid disappears and jerky-bossy Dathid's back.

"There's a hole in the wall by the old smithy. Do you know where I'm talking about?" I nod. "That's where we're going. We'll try to grab some unicorns. But we run and don't stop for anything. For anything, do you understand?"

"Yeah. Don't stop."

"If we're separated. Go through the gate and head south. Get clear and keep going. We'll find you." 

I want to know how they'll do that. And ask what I need to be clear of. But I simply nod and keep my mouth shut. 

"The leafy parts are not as dangerous as the roots. Watch for the roots."

"The roots of what?" I wish he'd give me more. I'm getting just enough details to feed my terror.

"Grahmthus Vines."

Pictures from movies play across my brain—vines wrapping around people, dragging them off, and strangling them.

"They don't move fast, but they're plentiful. If one gets you, chop it off before another can grab hold. Sword out!"