Chapter 23: Dirt Bubbles

"How do we fight a root?" I ask. Why did you bring me underground? is the second question, but I'm too afraid of Soldier Dathid to ask it.

"We don't. We're going to have to surface much sooner than I hoped."

"Why do we have to be in the dark?"

"They're attracted to the light. Stop asking questions and listen. We're going to the uniquestrian center. Do not stop for any reason. Our mounts should be waiting. If I'm not with you, ride south for as long as Stryder will carry you. Someone will meet up with you."

I don't understand. Why wouldn't Dathid be with me? How far south is that? And who will meet me and how will they find me?

I can't get answers to any of these questions because we're running before I can voice them. It's easier to keep my balance now that he's not dragging me around. Plus, we're not trying to hide anymore, so I have light. I keep my arms tucked close to my body, hoping the roots don't grab me.

They don't. They don't seem to be moving at all. However, the deeper we go into the tunnel, the thicker the roots get and the louder the cracking. Eventually, there are so many rocks on the ground we're forced to carefully navigate a path that slows us down considerably.

A rock falls and slides down Dathid's leg. He swears but doesn't slow down. Rocks are falling near both of us, but I haven't been hit...yet. I regret leaving my helmet off. The stones aren't falling far, but they're heavy enough to crack my skull.

We finally get to a place where the roots haven't damaged the tunnel. "We made it," I sigh.

"This is a trap," he says. "We can only go forward. Do you see the exit?"

He points to an arched entryway, leading to a staircase, heading up to what I assume is the surface. "When you go through the hatch, you're going to meet the vines the roots are attached to. Hack away at them and don't stop. They're not quick, but they are persistent."

I nod. How can roots and vines have set a trap for us? My teeth are chattering. I open my mouth to keep them from clanging together. He smiles at me, and a sigh escapes my lips. There's the Dathid I know. I'm glad he was in there somewhere.

"You'll do well," he says gently. "Just remember what I told you. Do not stop for anything. Or anyone."

I nod, but I've lost muscle control, so my head wobbles.

A loud crash rattles the tunnel. I instinctively jump on him. Every part of me is shaking. I used to be much braver, but that was before I knew what bravery was. Death is waiting for us up there, and I don't have the courage to face it again.

Dathid pries me off him. "We need to move," he insists. "This is our last quiet moment until we're out of the castle. You can do this. Run until you're safe."

I can't form words. I wobble a nod at him and force my burning eyes to blink.

"Ready, run!"

I leap off the wall and fly down the corridor. He's behind me with his hand on my back, propelling me forward. I'm running so fast my feet are barely making contact with the ground. A loud crack echoes down the chamber. Stone and dirt rain down on us when the entire tunnel collapses.

My feet keep moving even though bricks strike me in more places than I can notice. Dathid folds his arm around my waist and wrenches me toward him. I raise my wand high and make a shield, but I've never made one this strong. It's taking more strength than I have to keep the ground from collapsing in on us. Dathid drops to his knees with a groan and drags me with him. He wraps himself around me and protects me from the worst of the falling tunnel. He clenches his hands around my raised hand in an attempt to give me his strength to hold the failing shield.