FIFTY

SANDRO

"It was a mistake to ask you out for a tea. I am sorry Dani." I told her. 

We were sitting down here in the cafe by the Luca Valiente building. I just gave Mikael my letter because I wasn't able to write any the last time I was here. I just happened to bump into Dani while on my way to the parking lot.

Dani pressed her lips together. "Can't we stay as friends Sandro?" She asked with longing in her eyes. I felt bad but my decision is final. 

"Maybe Dani. We'll see. But for now, I don't think I can be friends with you. My relationship with you affected Louise and I to the point that I even had the audacity to lie to my wife for you," Her mouth gaped. I only shook my head. "It was wrong in the first place Dani. I am sorry if I ever led you on."

"I wonder why I didn't wait for you that time Sandro." She muttered.

"Maybe it wasn't really meant for us Dani."

"Then what's meant for me Sandro? I thought I would not end up like my sister but I did. I fucked up my life because of one mistake and ended up paying for the consequences."

"No Dani. Alex and Victorique are not mistakes."

A tear fell down her cheeks. "I know but I wish it was you instead."

I only smiled. 

Louise's eyes glowed when she watched the lettuce being harvested from the ground. She looked at the lettuce as if they were the most beautiful and precious thing in the world than me. 

"That's just food Louise." I mumbled beside her.

She nodded. "Naglalaway na ako."

I chuckled. "You mean our baby."

"Dalawa kami na kakain. Manahimik ka." She spat.

It has been a week since we found out she was four weeks pregnant. At the same time, her lihi stage started. Particularly craving for Korean food in which I do not understand why. 

"Okay. Okay." No need to be grumpy. I replied.

"Pasensya na po. Isang kilo lang po ang maibebenta namin. Nag-supply ko kasi kami sa mga restaurant kahapon." The farmer told me while handling me the bag of lettuce. 

"Ayos lang po apo." I replied, smiling.

"Pwede pong pahugas ng isa?" Louise butted in.

"Why?" I asked, looking at her.

"Shempre kakainin ko." She replied, rolling her eyes. 

"You still have your kimchi in the car not to mention your rice crispies and the kimbap we bought on the way." I told her. Our car literally smell like kimchi because she brings them everywhere we go. She also loves the smell of kimchi and would sometimes open a jar and just smell it.

"Ano naman ngayon? Gusto kong ngumuya ng lettuce. Period. No questions asked." And that was the queue to shut my mouth and do as she said. Mom told me to obey my wife at whatever cost or she will snap. 

We decided to to Bangui Windmills right after we bought the lettuce from a farm in Batac. I looked at Louise to my side who was busy munching her kimchi.

"Is it that delicious?" I asked. She has been craving that nonstop. I didn't even know where to buy the first time she asked me because there were no Korean grocery near us. 

She nodded. "Sobra. Ungol ako habang kumakain gusto mo?" She asked. 

I made a face. "Kapag tayong dalawa lang. Please don't do that in public."