16 - Not a monster

Wanda's magic began to fizzle out when she realized who was standing in front of her. She stared at Natasha in shock, unsure of what to do. She had missed her so much, wanting nothing more than to just run up to her and give her the biggest hug, but couldn't bring herself to do it. Natasha was mad at her, she hates her, there was no way she doesn't. Wanda endangered all their friends, used her magic against them and now she was helping their enemies destroy the Avengers. Those thoughts rushed into Wanda's thoughts like a wildfire as Natasha just stood there processing her own thoughts. Wanda looked ashamed. She didn't know what to say to one of the people she had missed most.

She went to take a step forward but stopped herself. "Nat-"

She was cut off before she could even get the first word out when Natasha ran to her and gave her the hug she had been needing for months. Wanda was shocked; she was sure Natasha would be furious at her for betraying the Avengers, yet there was nothing in that hug but love and warmth. Natasha wasn't afraid of Wanda, despite Wanda's worries that she might be.

She hugged Natasha back, letting the warmth spread through her entire body. It comforted her, more than anything had since taking down the Hex. She didn't realize how in need of comfort she was until that moment. She didn't realize how starved she was.

Natasha pulled back from the hug but kept her hands on Wanda's shoulders and looked into Wanda's eyes and smiled. Wanda laughed quietly and felt the threat of tears coming forward. Natasha's eyes moved to the new headpiece Wanda was wearing; the symbol of the Scarlet Witch, only then did she notice the new suit Wanda was wearing. Cool. She thought. It suited her. Especially the red leather jacket she threw on the outside of her suit.

"Wanda..." Her grip on Wanda's shoulders tightened. "You idiot!" She shouted as she began violently shaking Wanda. She stopped after a few seconds and spoke with a serious voice. "What the hell are you doing?" She asked earnestly.

Wanda looked down, avoiding Natasha's eyes. "I don't even know anymore, Nat." She sounded so defeated and hopeless.

Natasha's heart ached for her. "Your sons wouldn't want this."

Wanda's eyes widened in shock. "How...?"

Natasha just laughed quietly. "You can see everything when you're dead. I don't remember everything, but I do vaguely remember your kids and the Hex."

Wanda was ashamed. "I didn't mean to hurt anyone... I just wanted my family back."

Natasha looked at her with compassionate eyes. "I know... and I am so sorry you had to go through all of it alone... But this isn't the way to do it, Wanda."

"It's too late. I can't stop now."

"It's not." She pleaded, meaning every word of it. "Come back with us. Come home."

Wanda was struck by her request. How could Natasha just overlook everything Wanda had done?

"Why-why don't you hate me?"

"Why would I?"

"I hurt the Avengers! I helped bring the stones back —the stones you sacrificed your life for! I used my magic against Steve and Sam! So why!?" She yelled out, tears streaming down in both desperation and anger. "Why don't you hate me?" She asked, defeated.

"Because you're not a monster." Natasha answered simply.

Wanda was frozen in place. That phrase; it wasn't the first time Natasha had said it to her. Maybe Natasha forgot, but Wanda didn't.

--------------------------------------------------

It had been a day since the events of Ultron and the fall of Sokovia. Since then, the Avengers had all been handling things on their own; Steve and Wanda were at the Avengers Tower resting from the fight, Clint went home to his family, Thor had returned to Asgard and Tony and Natasha were dealing with the aftermath of Sokovia —sitting through press conferences and state meetings.