Nightmare

*Flashback*

"Hey. Are you with me?" Liam asked when Theo woke up gasping from a nightmare.

It was the first time Liam had ever seen Theo have a nightmare.

Theo sat on the bed in Liam's room, heart beating out of his chest, his body covered in cold sweat, crying and hyperventilating about Tara in his dreams. About her haunting and terrorizing his dreams, turning them to nightmares.

"Theo what's wrong? Are you ok?" Liam searched Theo's face.

"N-n-n-noth-noth-th-thing" Theo gasped out.

Liam realized from his inability to speak correctly at this moment, he was having a panic attack.

"It's gonna be ok. Just breathe. Breathe with me. Breathe in..." Liam took a deep breath in, "Breathe out..." Liam released the breath he was holding.

"Breathe with me. In and out ok? Let's breathe together. You can do this. I know you can," Liam spoke.

Theo struggled to take a deep breath in, but he tried.

"In..." Liam breathed in, "and out..." Liam breathed out.

Theo successfully breathed in and out, a little faster than Liam had hoped, but it was still slower than what it was before.

"Good. Let's do it again. In..." this time both Liam and Theo breathed in together.

Liam nodded, telling Theo to breathe out.

They both breathed out.

"Good. That's good. One more time," Liam said watching and listening to Theo's breathing settle down.

They took deep breaths in and out again until Theo's breathing was completely calm.

"Theo..." Liam said softly, "talk to me. What's going on? Why did you freak out like that?"

Theo shook his head.

"You trust me don't you? Talk to me. Let me help."

Theo opened his mouth to say something but then closed it debating on whether or not to say something.

Liam looked sadly at Theo and gently wrapped his arms around his boyfriend. Theo cried into Liam's shoulder and said, "I never feel safe anymore. I never feel at rest. It's like I'm always trying to save myself or get away from something. I'm always fighting to survive. I haven't felt safe since I was like 8 and it kills me. I just want to feel safe."

Theo was crying now into Liam's chest.

"I don't exactly what to do, but I'm going to try my best to make you feel as safe as possible. Ok? Can you think of anything I can do to help?" Liam spoke so softly to him, not wanting to upset him more.

"I don't know!" Theo sobbed.

"Shhh. It's gonna be ok."After Liam said that, he didn't talk anymore, he just let Theo cry for as long as he needed.

After about 15 minutes, Theo's cries were replaced by sniffles. Liam loosened his grip a little on Theo because his arms started to fall asleep.

"Please don't let go," Theo pleaded.

"I won't," Liam whispered.

A few moments passed before Theo spoke quietly, "Being held kinda helps."

"Helps me feel safe," Theo clarified.

Liam smiled slightly and kissed his head, "Ok. I'll keep it in mind."

Liam knew from that point forward, to be as gentle as possible with Theo when he was this vulnerable. He was no longer the evil chimera of death, who killed for personal gain. That person was replaced by a caring, vulnerable, sometimes snarky, sometimes rude, but overall a great human being who deserves everything good in life.

They stayed there for a couple more minutes before Theo asked if they could go to bed. Liam responded with yes and they both laid down. Liam behind Theo, his arms wrapped tightly around him simply making him feel safe.