twenty-nine : down for the count

( CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE : DOWN FOR THE COUNT )

*    *    *

"THIS IS RIDICULOUS, DICK!"

He pinched the bridge of his nose. "Hearne, I know it's a risk--"

"A risk? She could die! Kaldur's already risking everything and you want to send Artemis in?!"

"It's the best option. She knows the Shadows better than anyone."

Hearne's glass creaked under her grip. "We both know that isn't true."

He shook his head, scoffing. "You're not an option. You're too close to it."

"And she isn't? Dick, her fucking father is part of the Light! Is that not close enough?" She jabbed a finger at his chest, hard. "It's a bad idea, and you know it. Kaldur's was dangerous, but it was smart. This? It's a desperate attempt to save your plan. Think about all the people this'll hurt."

"I've thought about this," he stated. "And if you go, they'll kill you if they figure out who you are."

"They won't," she edged. "But they'll kill her. She isn't protected by Sportsmaster, not if she's working for Black Manta. No one in the Light gives two shits if Artemis lives."

"You're wrong. They'd kill you, not her."

She turned, a humorless laugh coming out of her mouth. Her skin buzzed with thinly-veiled anger, and before she could think better, she threw her glass against the wall. It shattered into a thousand pieces.

"You're a lot less intelligent than I thought if you think that," she said, vicious and cutting. "Savage doesn't waste pawns, and no one in the Light would cross that. It's the best damn option. Too many people will get hurt if Artemis goes."

"And people wouldn't get hurt if you did?" he said, cautious. He knew he was on thin ice.

"They'll get over it," Hearne hissed. "If Artemis dies, it's on you. If she dies I swear to the gods I will make sure you cannot step foot on any soil in this galaxy."

"Hearne--"

"Get out of my fucking house. Now."

He went, and she walked over the broken glass, poured herself a too-full glass of wine, and cried until it overflowed.

*    *    *

NOTHING WAS MORE comforting than Bioship. She knew immediately when something was wrong, and somehow she fixed it with ease. Bioship could fly herself--they were hovering camouflage over the site--but she let Hearne fly her anyway. Hearne gave her a few extra pats for that.

It was funny to her how she and Bioship bonded. She assumed Bioship would hate her since Hearne's mental presence was darker and formidable due to the darkness, but once Bioship warmed up to her, it seemed to do the opposite. Bioship took an extreme liking to her, a mental bond forming, one that Bioship often enacted if she was in the vicinity.

In short, Hearne hadn't known Bioships existed seven years before, but she loved Bioship dearly.

It did sting a bit since Bioship was, technically, M'gann's. She hadn't spoken to her more than was necessary, making it clear that she didn't support what M'gann was doing. She had murdered two Kroloteans--living breathing people--and taken off their patch to give to her brother for a souvenir. It made Hearne sick. It made her nauseous that M'gann was her friend, or at least used to be.