twenty-two : whatever it takes

( CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO : WHATEVER IT TAKES )

*    *    *

HEARNE HAD THOUGHT LONG AND HARD ABOUT THE RECENT EVENTS. Mere hours after she told the team the secret that had been slowly aiding her spiral for the past five years, they went to Santa Prisca and ambushed Lex Luthor, Queen Bee, Bane, and several of their other affiliates. It resulted in the capture of Sportsmaster and BlockBuster (otherwise known as Dr. Desmond), yet it still didn't ease the feeling deep in her bones. The team had seemingly been fine with what she said, though things had been slightly tense, and they had caught two criminals. 

Thoughts flew around her mind, as fast and as sharp as razor blades, and the constant chatter in her brain was becoming deafening. She wanted to voice her concerns, the ones she knew might be true, but she couldn't make the words come out of her mouth. Even though the team assured her that they understood, and it didn't change a thing, she felt as if saying it would cause them to finally realize what a monster she was.

But it was fine. Things had settled, at least for the time being, and she had time to think. She was showered, her suit was patched from a recent hole in the side, and she had a few hours of rest, something she rarely got the pleasure of having. Even if that feeling was still there, she felt slightly better than she had in months. 

"We have reason to feel proud of yesterday's victories," Kaldur said. "But one thing has not changed."

"Somehow the bad guys are still getting inside intel about us," Robin agreed.

"Yeah," Wally shrugged, "but at least we know none of us are the mole."

"That's correct," Batman said as they entered the room, and Hearne had a feeling this wasn't going well. "The mole was Red Arrow."

Hearne's eyes widened. Red Arrow? That was impossible. She didn't know Roy as well as the others did, but she knew he wouldn't do this. But quickly, she reprimanded herself and toned down her expression. The mole could easily be anyone, especially Red Arrow. She shouldn't think it was unlikely.

Yet, as a gut instinct, she knew it didn't make sense. It didn't feel right.

The team began to protest, exclaiming that it wasn't possible, but Red Tornado stopped the outbursts. "Unfortunately,  the Roy Harper we have known for the last three years is another 'Project Cadmus' clone."

A clone. Red Arrow was a clone.

"We've learned the real Speedy was abducted and replaced immediately after becoming Green Arrow's sidekick," Batman explained grimly. "The clone was pre-programmed with a drive to join the Justice League, which is why he was so angry over any delays to his admission and why he refused to join the Team. This Roy Harper had no idea he was a clone or a traitor. And his subconscious programming drove him to become League worthy."

It made sense. Hearne didn't want to believe it, but it made sense. She'd seen brainwashing before, and if he hadn't known who--or what--he was, he could be the perfect mole.

"So he struck out on his own as Red Arrow," Batman continued. "When he was finally admitted his secondary programming kicked in and he attempted to betray the League to Vandal Savage." Hearne couldn't breathe. "Fortunately, I had already deduced Red Arrow was a clone. We were prepared."

"Savage was subdued," Red Tornado said, "but Red Arrow escaped. He is now a fugitive, armed and dangerous."

Hearne's posture went rigid. Savage was smart. The League was powerful, and capable, but he would never be captured. He was much too smart for that.