eleven : destined isn't destiny

( CHAPTER ELEVEN : DESTINED ISN'T DESTINY )

*    *    *

KALDUR HUFFED AND ACCEPTED HER HAND TO STAND. "I think we should seek other partners."

Hearne shrugged, letting a small smile appear on her face. "Maybe I just outrank you, Aqualad."

He crossed his arms with a small smile of his own. "Perhaps you do."

Before Hearne could say anything about the fact that Kaldur had admitted she was above his level, Robin failed against Artemis and Black Canary stepped in.

"Good work, everyone. In fact, it's been a very productive week."

Hearne hadn't been home in that week, either. One day to spend a small amount of time with Athena, allow her suit to get repaired, and tell her what she'd heard from Nelson. But that was it, and while she could admit being at the Cave was more enjoyable without treating them like enemies, it didn't mean she wanted to be there constantly. The others got to leave, for school, but she had to stay with Kaldur, which she didn't mind, but it was annoying that they could leave while they couldn't, aside for swims and trips to Happy Harbor. At least they were more synced than the others, though, the time spent doing combat earned them well.

"Yeah," Artemis said in respond to Black Canary, "for everyone but Kid Malingerer."

"Hey!" Wally protested, setting his drink down noisily. "Arm broken in combat against the Injustice League here."

"I've really enjoyed being your, uh, den mother this week," Black Canary said. "Especially you, Olympia, you and Kaldur perfected several maneuvers this week."

The two in question shared a look before the Zeta-Tube announced Zatara's entrance, and the machine stopped whirring to reveal the man walking toward them. He clicked the wall by the Zeta-Tube and a holographic screen appeared, and he began to type away.

Access granted. Zatanna Zatara. A-03. Authoriziation, Zatara, 11.

He had a daughter? Hearne didn't know that. She'd heard about the infamous Zatara, but never his daughter. Granted, however old she was, she would have been significantly younger back then.

The Zeta-Tube whirred to a stop, the light receding to reveal someone roughly Hearne's age, dressed in a clothing like you would wear at a private school. Hearne would guess she was related to him, they had the same eyes and nose, the same mannerisms, though Zatanna's were much more shy and quiet.

"Team," Zatara introduced, "this is my daughter, Zatanna."

Shyly, she walked forward, and M'gann flew over to greet her. "Hi, I'm--"

"Robin!" Of course, Boy Wonder swooped in to meet the new girl. "I mean, I'm Robin. Ah, she's M'gann, and that's Wally, Artemis, Kaldur, Olympia, and Connor."

"Welcome to the Cave," Kaldur greeted. Hearne nodded to the slightest degree to acknowledge Zatanna.

"Uh, thanks."

"So, uh, y-you joined the Team?" Robin asked, and Hearne wondered how he could be so smart, yet so tone deaf.

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves," Zatara interrupted as he walked toward the two. "This is strictly a visit. Though I am sorry we missed the training." He looked apologetically towards Black Canary as he approached her. "It's something from which Zatanna could benefit."

Do the rest of you get the impression we're still on probation with Zatara? M'gann wondered.

Not just Zatara, Connor pointed out. I mean, why is Marvel still hangin' around?