nineteen : no longer

( CHAPTER NINETEEN : NO LONGER )

*    *    *

HEARNE LOOKED AT KALDUR, WHO DISCREETLY TRIED TO AVOID EYE CONTACT. When the two of them had time alone, she was going to make him wish he had never came to the Cave that morning.

Red Arrow was joining the team. Green Arrow and Red Tornado had explained it, that he was going to briefly join, and if he could work well with them, he would become part of the Justice League. Hearne wondered who the hell thought that was a good idea, but she didn't voice it.

Recognized Artemis, B07.

Hearne cringed, she knew this wouldn't go well.

"Artemis," Green Arrow greeted, "just in time. Look who's agreed to join the Team."

"Finally!" Wally cheered, and Hearne wished he hadn't. Did he understand nothing?

"Sure," Artemis said,."Team's needed a real archer."

When Wally's eyes widened slightly, Hearne gave him a pointed look, which he tried to ignore. Sometimes she wondered if his common sense had rotted under all of his smarts.

"Okay, people," Green Arrow said, oblivious to the tension in the room, "listen up." He walked over to the holographic keyboard and began to type. "The Dynamic Duo's on a case in Gotham but Batman gave me a heads up. Sportsmaster was spotted coming through Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport."

"In full costume?" Zatanna said. "Nervy."

"In street clothes," Green Arrow clarified. "Facial recognition software picked up the ID. Find out what he's up to."

Hearne quickly memorized the photos, scanning the pictures for anything of importance. Whatever it was, he'd likely be working with Cheshire, his daughter. For a brief period of time, Hearne had forgotten that Artemis was Sportsmaster's other daughter, and she felt a small ping of guilt for discovering that months ago.

"All of us?" Connor said, gesturing to the wide array of people in the room. "Seems like overkill for a shadow job."

"Perhaps a small squad," Red Tornado agreed. "Miss Martian's camouflage abilities seem ideal."

"Thought the sidekicks"--Green Arrow winced--"sorry, ex-sidekicks could suit up on this. Aqualad, Kid Flash, Red Arrow."

Great. She had been called in for nothing other than to be informed that Red Arrow was joining the Team. 

"Good," Connor said as he crossed his arms, "stakeouts make me crazy."

"We could use the night off," M'gann pointed out.

"I want in," Artemis abruptly said, her eyes set on her mentor. "With M'gann and Robin out, no one's logged more hours piloting the Bioship."

"Aremis, are you sure?" Green Arrow asked.

"Absolutely." 

Hearne knew this wouldn't turn out well, especially for Artemis, but there was no way to talk her out of it. The one thing that Artemis could always be was stubborn.

*    *    *

CONNOR, M'GANN, AND Zatanna were investigating Red Tornado's apartment. Hearne had refused, the idea of invading his privacy without a proper reason other than boredom and curiosity making her thoroughly uncomfortable.