fourteen : high school halloween

( CHAPTER FOURTEEN : HIGH SCHOOL HALLOWEEN )

*    *    *

HEARNE HAD NEVER CELEBRATED HALLOWEEN. It was never a holiday, to her, and when she came to America and saw how people celebrated it, she was appalled. Costumes? And candy, for free? Children were allowed to walk free, at night, and take candy from strangers? It didn't make any sense to her, and every time it rolled around, she ignored it. The only "celebration" she did was she and Athena would go to the store, buy several bags of candy, and eat it that night.

Now Hearne was dressed in a costume--a ghost, which seemed rather laughable to her--and eating several Snickers that she held in her hand. While she had a strict diet most of the time, the one exception was Halloween. She'd never had candy before, and the first time she'd eaten one, she could still remember the way her eyes widened and she'd looked at Athena like she had given her pure gold.

"Cool ghost costume," Wally said with a nod. He was dressed as a werewolf, and reluctantly, Hearne had helped with the glue earlier that day. "It seems fitting since you--uh, you know--"

"Don't die, yes, I get it."

His cheeks turned red as he turned to M'gann, babbling on about how Connor and Hearne would feel awkward "third-wheeling" on their date. Hearne wondered how oblivious he could be. M'gann and Connor had been dating for weeks, and he clearly liked Artemis, if the simulation didn't confirm it enough. Why all the turmoil over it? Artemis clearly liked him, too.

Hearne had never liked anyone, not in that way. She had a suitor, when she was young, just as everyone else did. At the age of four, you were paired with someone relatively the same age as you, and you were "destined" until your death. Hers had died, and darkly enough, she wasn't sure she would want that life anymore. Everyone seemed to be unhappy, and the relationships weren't like they were here. Love wasn't involved, and if there was a lack of it? You didn't know any better.

"Has anyone seen Kaldur?" she asked. "He wanted to talk to me last time I was here . . . I cannot remember why."

Everyone froze, exchanged a look, as if they knew something Hearne didn't.

"What is it? Is it important?"

"You should totally go talk to him," Wally quickly said. "Like, right now--like, before anything else can happen."

Her eyebrows pinched together. "What aren't you telling me?"

"Nothing! Jeez, can't a guy get a little bit of trust around here?"

She sighed. "Fine, but that did not answer my question. Is he in the Cave at the moment?"

Typically, he was, but sometimes he would leave for Atlantis, or to simply get out of the Cave. Besides that, the Cave was large, and Hearne was not going to go searching for him solely because he wanted to "talk to her."

"Oh!" M'gann blushed. "He's at the hangar, I think. He went for a swim this morning."

Hearne nodded in thanks and left to find him. He seemed to be swimming a lot more often lately, and she understood why. He had been raised in Atlantis, for most of his life, he didn't come to the surface world. It was comforting to be amongst the waves again. She had gone swimming with him before, and every time she was there they went together. It was nice having someone who could keep up with her (he was faster, but she would never admit that).

Just as M'gann said, she found Kaldur in the hangar. He was merely floating in the water, eyes shut and face blank. Hearne knew that feeling. To do nothing more than float at the surface of the water, the sound of underwater in your ears, as your mind did nothing but spin and spin and spin. He wasn't wearing a shirt, which was a first, since he typically wore his suit to swim. Now, it was nothing but navy blue swim shorts (vaguely, she recalled how they had a beach day the day she arrived, and wondered if that was what Kaldur wore).