Of Friends and Foes

The bus ride was too quick, so he slowed his remaining walk towards the address so much that his muscles were vibrating impatiently. Even his practised apologies got sloppier because of it.

But he was in front of the club not too long after. Screw it, he would just have to do it as best as the situation allowed. First, he had to find Yugyeom. Jungkook flashed his identification and entered with not much other thought. It was his good luck that the bouncer had little thoughts too. He knew how much pain in the arse they could get.

He briskly filed the faces as he weaved through the bodies in the main crowd. He even got close enough to see those preferring to hide away under the cloak of darkness. Jungkook felt for them, this was not his usual scene either, yet still, he had been at such places far more than he cared to be. Enough that he knew how these establishments worked. So, he walked on, away from the noise, until the floors and walls shined with opulence. Even the air smelled different here. Cleaner, more inviting.

Jungkook stared down the long hallway with the many doors on both his sides. Must he open each one to find the man? Or could he risk being booted out by asking then giving the wrong name?

It was not that hard of a choice. Jungkook decided that he would just have to apologise more than what he came to do. It was not the worst thing he had to do, anyways. 'Sorry, wrong room,' he said when he saw that Yugyeom was not among them. Once, then twice and then thrice, he said them. Each time he had shut the door quick, not waiting for their attention and less their reply.

As he purposefully moved to the next one on the opposite wall, a door a little further from him opened. A figure stepped out, eyes focused on his phone, and Jungkook's ridiculous search ended in relief.

"Yugyeom!" He called out and the man looked up and nodded in greeting.

When Jungkook was nearer, Yugyeom said in reply, "Jungkook," with the door held open still, "Go on in, they're all here."

"Who?" Jungkook asked.

Yugyeom furrowed his brow at the question but answered anyways, "Jaehyun. You've seen Mingyu before. And some other boys that made it into the sixteen. Moonbin? Junhoe?"

Jungkook nodded. Conversations with them were few and far between but he had seen them so often the past month he knew to match those names to their faces.

"And you?" Jungkook asked.

"Me?" Yugyeom echoed the question.

Jungkook realised he was skirting a slippery slope, so he clarified his question, "Where are you going?"

Yugyeom nodded, "I was just leaving."

"Why?" He asked.

"I need to be home soon," Yugyeom explained. When Jungkook made no move to enter, he gestured at the opened door again. Jungkook saw their curious eyes, but they did not move or stop to listen in.

"I'm not part of the team," he told Yugyeom, "I'm not going in."

Yugyeom let the door go and sighed. It clicked shut.

"I'm not either," Yugyeom said.

"And no one invited me here," Jungkook said, again.

Pause.

"So, why are you here?" Yugyeom asked.

"Someone told me you'd be here," he explained.

"Dahyun." Understanding settled on Yugyeom's face, "That was you?"

Jungkook nodded, then, "Hey, listen," Jungkook started but faltered. His practised apologies had not felt enough in his desperation to keep the friendship, "I'm sorry...for everything."