fools and games

CHAPTER XXIX

JUNGKOOK stood at the end of the walkway. Short lamps stood along its length like sentinels, indifferent, uncurious. She did not expect for him to come as quickly as he had. His eyes strayed to the slumped figure behind her, and there was relief in his exhale.

Weighted red, black jacket over him; the winged falcon embroidered above his heart. He was dressed for the chill. A breeze picked up around them. Unlike him, her bones shivered. Shoulders bare, but her dress grazed the ground, black as obsidian, dull as midnight. She shone like moonlight shrouded in darkness.

When he took a step towards her, she slipped into the shadows. He didn't think she'd make it easy for him, did he?

"What about you, Yein?"

"Not a boyfriend...but does being someone's first love count?" Her voice fluttered in the wind, hesitant.

People in the circle perked at the confession. "Of course, it does!" Someone said, cooing. 'Tell!' Enthusiastic echoes chorused after.

"Do we know him?" 

"You might," Yein said. "He's here," and the crowd of girls broke into delighted squeals.

Alone, Dahyun sat, subtle, disinterested. The same question had made its round. She had been the one to start it, but the stories had gotten old fast, and it had been two full hours since. A little more. It was almost ending.

"You mean here?"

Yein hushed them gently, finger on lips, eyes flitting towards students splattered about. They were disturbed by the sudden loud. Was it only days ago that the area was robust with festivities? Now, merriment clung on, weak.

"Not here. Only that he studies here."

"Who?"

"He's a friend." Yein answered, vague. Her cheeks blushed prettily. As if shy. But she had been quick to talk about him; proud. Jeon Jungkook—it was hard not bragging about him, Dahyun supposed.

'Eh...' The crowd murmured in disappointment. Then, questions rushed in, words over the others. 'What's his name? Which class? Handsome?'

Someone nudged Yein, "Is? You're still friends?"

"I've known him most of my life." Yein answered. "He's good to me. He'd choose me over anything. Anyone too. He'll be a friend as long as I live. I can't lose him even if I want to, I'm afraid," Her mouth fond.

Dahyun stopped tracing random patterns over the sand. Her fingers dotted with soot. In the middle of an old bonfire, the ground was singe by fire, the charred logs were almost dusts, flames long gone. One cannot burn beautifully forever, but only she seemed to get the humour.

"He must love you a lot." Dahyun said.

"He loved me the most." Was it regrets?

"You're so sure of him. Say, why aren't you two together? You don't like him?"

"I—" Yein cleared her throat, "I didn't think it was important. We love well as friends. Must things change when we don't?"

"It's hard to find a guy that loves you like that. I'd hold onto someone like that even if I don't love him," a girl confessed.

"You want a dimwit?" Harsh. Yeri—she often around during practice. Chanwoo, her beloved, had always been the first to reach her after the ending whistle blew over, sprinting faster and stronger than he ever did the entire practice. It was sweet. Dahyun smiled genuinely. Only because everything else had tasted stale. The empty chit-chat, emptier friendships. It would have been nice to have Sinbi here even if she doubted her sincerity.