of deals and choices

CHAPTER XI

"No," Jungkook told him.

"What are you going to do with that?" He asked again when he saw Jungkook still holding onto the bag.

Jungkook shrugged at the question, "I'll figure it out. Later."

"Why don't you give it back to the server girl? Looks like she needed it."

"I'll buy one just like it. She doesn't need this." Jungkook said, sharp. Too many things were making him angry. Even the words Mingyu were saying.

"I didn't know you know her like that." Mingyu said.

"I don't. I'd do that for anyone. No one deserved to be looked down like that."

"Don't trouble yourself. Yugyeom already paid for the damage. Made them give her the night off too. You make a pair." Mingyu's scoff was not spiteful, "You and Yugyeom both."

"He did?" Jungkook became thoughtful. 'Why would he?'

"Sounds ridiculous now that you hear it?" Mingyu said. "An advice? Don't play too nice. Girls are never sincere. There's always something they want. Especially from someone who has everything like Yugyeom."

"She's nice."

"The nicest ones hide the most," he said into the glass, words as bitter as the drinks he was inhaling.

The words brushed a little too close, but it was unfair that Mingyu was painting in broad strokes when he did not see the whole picture, "You don't know her to make that kind of assumptions about her."

"I know that she is the type of girl that lets Yugyeom, a kind stranger she didn't know pay for her and send her home." When Jungkook did not say anything in reply, Mingyu smiled, victorious, sure that he had sent his point across.

Dismay settled and the feelings grew in intensity the longer he let Mingyu's words replay in his head. Yugyeom. Yein.

If it had not been for Kim Dahyun earlier, Yugyeom and Yein would not have reasons to know each other...

"I hate her," Jungkook said, breaking the silence. Mingyu turned to him, bleary eyes clearing in thoughts.

"Sinbi?" Mingyu's venom was quiet, unlike his. No one not privy to Mingyu's confessions could not have known how dangerous his feelings ran.

"No."

"Kim Dahyun then," Mingyu nodded, understanding. 'It really was her name.'

"You know her?"

Mingyu grew sombre. "Since high school." Mingyu said, "We were from different schools, but I've seen her more than I've seen most of my own schoolmates. Heard her name more than mine too. She was everywhere doing everything. She was at every volunteer event, competing in sport teams, winning debates. Everything is a competition to her. She wants every prize there is. She's on scholarship when she doesn't need it. Everyone knows her, and everyone I know liked her at one point."

"No one can be that perfect."

"No," Mingyu agreed, "But no one is so good at pretending to be that like she does, and when it comes to her suddenly everyone becomes a half-wit. Annoying, isn't it?"

"You don't sound like you've been charmed."

"That's putting it mildly."

Pause.

"Do you hate her?" Jungkook did not know why asking it made him prickle with unease.

Mingyu smiled, "Just know that I would bring her down from her high horse." He poured more of the thick golden liquid. Instead of chucking it down, he offered it to Jungkook this time. "Would you?"