soar high, dove

CHAPTER XXVIII

SHE weaved into the resplendent crowd—a serpent up to no good. But they did not know that. They know little. They only saw her light steps, her delicate smile, the feathery silk against her skin, and were convinced she was a dove in the midst of their own loveliness. It was in their eyes while she bore into them, charming.

Even Mingyu thawed when she passed him the glass flute, fingers grazing his, and he had not pulled away first. The seductive whispers of the string orchestra softened him. The drinks he had did him in.

"Jungkook—you must love him very much." He said. "You saved him when you didn't have to. With me—" he swallowed, "You were the first to throw me to the wolves. You made sure they got me. I'll never forget your eyes."

"What did they look like?"

"Manic. Alive." He said. "You lie, and they lit like thousand firebolts. You returned my room key in front of everyone, saying it was from Sinbi. You wanted them to think I slept with her. I never did. You knew that. I never wanted to. That key was yours. You took it from my hands. You made me the liar. I hate you. I do. Even if no one else does."

But he did not seem to hate her. His ugly passion broke like splinters of light under the chandelier. Small. Inconsequential.

"I believe you." She said. "Turn the hall with me? I'll listen to your woes, and I'll apologise."

"What are you up to, Dahyun? I didn't think I'd see you here. I haven't. Not for a long time. Yet, twice I've seen you this week." Pause. "Jungkook, must you destroy him too?"

"I saved him, remember? You said it yourselves."

"Only so he could fall further," he said. "I don't forget your eyes, remember? They're just as they were before you ruin me. Leave him. Whatever between us, all the debt and hurt, let's call it even."

"Tonight, I will" she promised. "But tomorrow, I'll want him, and he'd be the same."

"No, he doesn't. That confession wasn't for you."

"Who is it for?"

"It doesn't matter; I know he doesn't love you." 

"Not like you did?" He started to argue, but she stepped into his space, "Am I wrong? You were everywhere, and I had thought it was Sinbi you were chasing after, but you said it isn't her."

"I swear—"

"I won't tell anyone. My gratitude for your warning about Jungkook."

"It wasn't love," he explained, adamant. "I only liked the idea of you. But you're not someone I thought you were. You're no one. You're not out there doing things no one could. You aren't great. Look at you; you can't even stand next to Sinbi who climbed from nothing. Moon Gayoung? You can't touch her. So, Eunwoo, don't dream of him. Jungkook too; he's not someone who'd want you. Not sincerely."

"What about you?" She asked.

"Have you not been listening—"

"Can I dream of you?"

He floundered from her question; his wits slower. But they would never truly leave him—he had always been smart. "You've always been a liar, aren't you? You're good; almost got me for real." His frail smile was her victory too. "Go ahead, dream of me. Push me off a cliff. Use your hands to strangle me. I'll die a thousand times for you in your dreams. But that's the only place you could touch me." 

"Do you know of the Shadow Circe? She's quiet, and suddenly she messes with the Sixteen. Do you know why?"

"No—"