an eastern wind

"Trouble in paradise finally, Chanwoo?"

They watched a girl strode across the pitch towards their circle lounging on the grass. Quick, purposeful. A horde of angry words behind her snarl. This was not a common occurrence even with such jackasses as company.

"Good, I say—you were too sweet it was making me sick."

"You can be a douche, you know that, Jungkook?" Chanwoo managed. Then the storm was breathing in his face, bellowing.

"You! Did you even read the text you sent me?" She shoved the phone at him.

"Now, what stupid thing did you say?" Jaehyun drawled, moving his fringe back at the unfurling scene. He was enjoying this the most.

"Your friend backed out from a date I arranged so hard for him because he has a study group?! Really? Do you hear yourself? Backing out on the Bae Joohyun to study? Does that make sense to you? Even if he sells his soul, he could never get this chance again."

"You're looking down on him too much? My friend is great. He could have any girl he likes. Joohyun or no Joohyun."

"Really, Yeri? The post-graduate student, Bae Joohyun? Just what kind of deal did you strike to get her to agree?" Jaehyun was impressed.

"Exactly. Now, what do you have to say for yourself and your friend?"

"If Eunwoo says he needs to study, then he must need to study." Chanwoo insisted, stubborn.

"Are you really going to keep on defending him?" She was incredulous.

"Eunwoo? Cha Eunwoo?"

"Do you think I know any other Eunwoo?" Chanwoo was miserable.

"I can't believe it!" Jaehyun cackled. "What's a meek mouse like you trying to do, stirring trouble?"

"Does he have to die a spinster just because people couldn't bear seeing him happy with someone else?" He argued back.

"He wouldn't have to die before, but he would now. With you." Her words full of promised venom.

"Yeri, I'm sure he didn't mean to insult you. You don't know Eunwoo. He's nice, and the busiest guy I know." Jaehyun interceded for him now.

"Yes, he's never early for practice, and would leave before the whistle blows are over too." Taeyang supplied next to him.

"It's true," Chanwoo joined eagerly. "He's always studying. Just earlier I saw him with Dahyun in the library."

"Dahyun?" She echoed.

Suddenly an alternate explanation became clear.

"Your friend has a girlfriend and you're here asking me to set him up? Are you for real?"

"Why are you jumping to conclusions? I swear he has none." Chanwoo struggled to dodge her wild rains of swats.

"He chose to study with that girl instead of going on a date with the hottest girl on the campus. What does that look to you?"

Jungkook reeled at her question. But it might just be as Chanwoo had said, and they were jumping to conclusions. They were not the only two in that study group. Were they?

"Are you talking about Kim Dahyun?" Jungkook asked, serious.

"You know her too?"

"A little. How do you know her?"

"Is she the problem here?" Yeri tore into their conversation.

'She was.' He had built a fortress against her, and she could set them crumbling into dusts. Those guys around her would stand no chance against a force like Kim Dahyun. It was hard to believe that Eunwoo—a senior from a different major who studied with her, even turning down a date with the hottest girl on campus—had no feelings for her.

"That's arguable. I think Gayoung is prettier—" Chanwoo argued in the background.

"Say more, I dare you to."

"Dahyun...I heard of that name before," Jaehyun thought aloud, "Is she the girl you told me about, Jungkook?"

"I didn't know you have a girlfriend," Chanwoo perked at the conversation.

Why was he suddenly given a part in this drama?

"I don't," he gritted.

"I used to her sitting in during our practices. She was there to see you? I don't see her these days."

"Why? Did things not work out with her?"

"Clearly, it didn't if she's already hanging onto Eunwoo."

"She moved to the next so fast; that's mean of her."

"What are you talking about? It's not even been a week since she was last here. We've been busy." Jungkook wanted to fight them for their ridiculousness.

"While you're busy sitting here, that Eunwoo guy is actually putting effort in wooing your girl, even turning down the date I've set him up." Yeri shot Chanwoo an unimpressed look.

The jab had not been meant for him but Jungkook had risen to bite the bait nonetheless. "So, what if some dude likes her? It's not as if she could stop him his feelings."

"Well, you're giving room for other guys to think she's on for grabs."

"I trust her." Jungkook stood, rough, yanking his bag with him to walk away from here.

"What's wrong with him?" He heard Yeri ask behind him.

"You don't expect him to agree with you while you attack him, do you?" Jaehyun said blandly.

"I didn't expect him to have it so bad for her."

'I trust her.' His friend imitated him and the small crowd broke out into guffaws. His cheeks warmed. Had he really said something as cringe-worthy as that? Damn it.

"Hush. You really don't have a bleeding heart." Yeri's smack echoed with their trailing laughter. "He's in love with her, I hope she is too. It'll be sad if she isn't."

He had been tempted to turn around, deny it. In love? With Kim Dahyun? It was not true. But he promised to wear her gold on his grey, and let the misunderstandings be.

"You're only hoping so because you're still angry, and don't want Eunwoo happy."