SIX

october 31st, 1984

THE ROCK WAS still there as Aven Hargrove walked past it once again. Her eyes never left its damaged exterior, a single tear stain glistening in the moonlight as she moved. The wind gently brushed away her heightened emotions, leaving a ghost of a touch on her bare skin. She shivered absentmindedly, forcing herself to gaze away from the stone. She walked past it without sending it a second glance, even if that was all she wanted to do.

She was stupid. She knew she was being stupid. As soon as she'd recovered from Billy's outburst, she'd turned away and walked down the front lawn into the night. She didn't tell anyone, not even Steve or Nancy. She didn't say goodbye. She didn't look back. Now, then, as she jumped at a sound in the distance, she realised what a stupid idea it was. Still, she couldn't turn around. She wouldn't.

She strained her ears to hear everything. She heard dogs barking in the distance. She heard the wind in the trees. She heard the locking of a gate. She heard footsteps. She heard footsteps. One. Two. Closer. Footsteps.

She widened her eyes as she instinctively picked up her pace. She clenched her fist by her side, crescent shapes forming in her palm as she tried to calm her rapid breathing. The steps behind her replaced her own, matching her speed. Then, they were behind her.

"Hey, angel," Someone muttered as they moved to walk beside her. She kept her eyes ahead, remaining emotionless, even if she was screaming - utterly terrified - inside. "Nice wings you got there."

"Thanks," she mumbled beneath her breath, continuing to walk at an alarming speed. She heard the boy scoff before walking even faster.

He grabbed onto her forearm tightly. "Hey-"

"Let go of me," Aven demanded as she suddenly stopped, turning around and trying to pry his fingers from her skin. He only smirked and tightened his hold, pulling her closer.